Chick can't poop! Swollen abdomen!

I just saw your post! Hope this info doesn't come too late! Sounds like you need a chicken enema. Instructions in the last paragraph.
Pasty Butt/ Constipated Vent

Pasty butt can be caused by stress, overheating, and dehydration to name the main causes. Make sure the brooder temp is not too high (or low as that can cause stress) and that your chicks have a 'cool zone' away from the brooder light. If you haven't already, dip their beaks into their water to make sure they know where the water is. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) in their drinking water can also help with pasty butt. Add 2 TBSP/gallon. As it needs to be remade every 24 hours for freshness, I made smaller batches when my chicks were little. 1 TBSP/ half gallon water or 1&1/2 TSP/ Quart (4 cups) water.

Cleaning pasty butt off under a light, warm (not hot) stream of water in the sink seems to be less chafing than using paper towels or a wash cloth,if the pasty butt is chronic.

A lubricant of some sort (Vaseline, coconut oil, even olive oil in a pinch) can help things slide more smoothly off the vent. Use a small amount as the other chicks may pick at the chicks vent if the down gets too oily and matted. Preparation H can help if the vent gets swollen. Use the original formula and not the pain relieving stuff.

In case of constipation, if you can get it to take some coconut oil and/or pineapple juice. I used a dropper for that. I was giving maybe 1/8 tsp twice a day of a half juice half oil mixture at 2 weeks so maybe 1/4 tsp for you 3 week old.

Also, I had to give one of mine an enema as it got so stopped up it couldn't go at all. A small needleless syringe (found in the baby section of most stores with about a 1/4 tsp of warm (not hot) water slowly squirted into the vent can be quite helpful if it gets that bad. I had to do this twice before it stopped crying out when it tried to go, then I kept up the pineapple juice and coconut oil for about 3 days after.

I doubt he's lazy. He may be in pain, I can't answer that. If the chick is unable to poop then his organs are going to begin to fail, he will get weaker and weaker. I really don't know of anything else you can do other than what has already been suggested. If you try the enema, I hope it works for you. I'm very sorry this has happened. :hugs

I just had a little Brahma chick that couldn’t poop- it’s vent would bulge out terribly But nothing would come out the vent. I also have a cat with mega colon so had some glycerin enemas left. I used a tiny dropper from a science kit or something (the business end was as narrow as a strand of cooked spaghetti) to put just a drop or two just inside its vent. If you don’t have a tiny syringe a qtip could be used to just dab it inside the vent I used my finger to push in just a little bit on its backside. (My finger didn’t go in its vent- I just applied some pressure to try to get that liquid to migrate in a bit).
The glycerin may soften any hardened poo and may stimulate the muscles, too.
I did it for my chick a couple times and it seemed to get it through a really rough patch.
I wonder how yours is doing...I know what it’s like to wish you knew what to do!

He hasn't gotten better if not worse. I tried everything that you all suggested, nothing has worked. I tried the edema but it did nothing whatsoever. He is still peeping, walking backwards, and closing his eyes. He hasn't pooped at all today. He has been drinking but has only eaten about 5 beakfuls of wet feed. I feel SOOOO bad😥, and I think he does too. I am starting to wonder if it is worth him living... I want him to make it through this but I don't want to prolong his suffering... Should I keep trying? If, in the event that he is totally miserable and I can't do anything ( I am nearing that point) what is the best, and quickest way to end his suffering? I have never had to put a chicken out of its misery, how do you? I feel that this might be the right thing to do but I am not sure. Any advice😢?

I am so sorry. It is possible that it was just too late by the time you got the information you needed. It is also possible that nothing would have helped from the very beginning. Sometimes these guys have internal organ deformities that no amount of intervention will heal. From what I have read of your posts you have tried everything you can and done your very best for Harry. You will have to use your own best judgment about when/if to cull.
I looked into it when my chickie was having so much trouble because I didn't want him to suffer unnecessarily. I found this article when I was trying to decide what to do:
https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/how-to-cull-a-chick.html
It is very informative.
We will keep you and Harry Potter the chick in our thoughts as you decide what is best.

I am so sorry. It is possible that it was just too late by the time you got the information you needed. It is also possible that nothing would have helped from the very beginning. Sometimes these guys have internal organ deformities that no amount of intervention will heal. From what I have read of your posts you have tried everything you can and done your very best for Harry. You will have to use your own best judgment about when/if to cull.
I looked into it when my chickie was having so much trouble because I didn't want him to suffer unnecessarily. I found this article when I was trying to decide what to do:
https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/how-to-cull-a-chick.html
It is very informative.
We will keep you and Harry Potter the chick in our thoughts as you decide what is best.
Thank you. The article was very informative and helpful. He took at turn for the very worst today and now appears unconscious. however he occasionally peeps very weakly. i haven't wanted to cull him, but he has gotten to the point where he has no way of recovery😢. Tomorrow morning, if he is still alive, I will use the baking soda and vinegar method mentioned in the article. I hope he will pass peacefully and I will not have to bring it to the end myself. Thank you again. this is him now. It will be over by tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    460.7 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom