Chick can't poop! Swollen abdomen!

Pics

Birdie mom

Crowing
Mar 27, 2020
Carlisle PA (But my chicks are in NC)
My chick Harry Potter ( that's his name). Has not been able to poop for the last 2 or more days.he is one week old. His abdomen is hanging down and is dirty. I washed of all the poop around his vent but he still doesn't seem to be able to poo. He isn't as active as the other chicks and stands in a sort of squatting position. I tried soaking him in warm water to get him to do his duty, but he still won't. He is also wobbly and is peeping a lot more than usual. He sounds like he is whimpering or quietly crying. Could his anus be not fully developed? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    563.5 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    544 KB · Views: 24
Constant peeping is a sign of distress.
Give the chick some coconut oil. You can refrigerate til firm and then break into pieces and put in the beak and let it swallow. If the chick is constipated that will help get things moving, if it's not too late. Try to get about 1/2 tsp. in it. Also try to get it to take fluids. If you hold it in your hand with the beak resting in the crease of your finger you can drip water down the crease and it will run into the beak and it will swallow. A little time consuming, but works well. I would give as much fluids as it will take every 1/2 hour or so. Hopefully things will get moving. Apply some vaseline gently around the vent with a q-tip, that will help lube the outside and help keep droppings from sticking there. Always be gentle, the tissue there is very fragile.
Check your brooder temperature with a thermometer under the warmest part. It should be 95 degrees the first week, and then drop by 5 degrees each week. And plenty of room to get out of the heat. Being too warm or too cold can contribute to this.

I'm so sorry. :hugs When they are this small there is only so much that can be done. It may have gone on too long to save it. All you can do is try, and some things are out of our hands. I did see this thread, if you want to try. I have never, ever done this, and would not except as a last ditch effort when I thought there was no other remedy, I think it would be very easy to kill the chick, but I will pass it on as information, and you can decide.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/enemas-save-lives-baby-chick-in-pain-not-pooping.657649/

My chick Harry Potter ( that's his name). Has not been able to poop for the last 2 or more days.he is one week old. His abdomen is hanging down and is dirty. I washed of all the poop around his vent but he still doesn't seem to be able to poo. He isn't as active as the other chicks and stands in a sort of squatting position. I tried soaking him in warm water to get him to do his duty, but he still won't. He is also wobbly and is peeping a lot more than usual. He sounds like he is whimpering or quietly crying. Could his anus be not fully developed? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Look up how to treat pasty butt. Also, next time post right away when this happens. Your chick might die.
Has he ever pooped? If so, that means his vent is not undeveloped, he just has gotten poop stuck there.

I have gotten all the poop off of his vent. He has pooped a little recently, but it was white and creamy not brown like normal.
Try to make sure there is nothing still left inside his vent. You shouldn't have to try to open it, just flush it out with a bit of warm water and then blow on it. If it opens and closes, he should evacuate a ton of poop soon.

Make sure the vent has an opening. Try inserting a QTip moistened with vaseline or vegetable oil just barely into the opening. Get it drinking water by dipping it’s beak. How hot is the brooder with a thermometer? Give the chick some tiny pieces of coconut oil or a little olive oil into it’s beak. Molasses is good as well.

Back
Top Bottom