Chick can't poop! Swollen abdomen!

Pics

Birdie mom

Crowing
Mar 27, 2020
Carlisle PA (But my chicks are in NC)
My chick Harry Potter ( that's his name). Has not been able to poop for the last 2 or more days.he is one week old. His abdomen is hanging down and is dirty. I washed of all the poop around his vent but he still doesn't seem to be able to poo. He isn't as active as the other chicks and stands in a sort of squatting position. I tried soaking him in warm water to get him to do his duty, but he still won't. He is also wobbly and is peeping a lot more than usual. He sounds like he is whimpering or quietly crying. Could his anus be not fully developed? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    563.5 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    544 KB · Views: 26
My chick Harry Potter ( that's his name). Has not been able to poop for the last 2 or more days.he is one week old. His abdomen is hanging down and is dirty. I washed of all the poop around his vent but he still doesn't seem to be able to poo. He isn't as active as the other chicks and stands in a sort of squatting position. I tried soaking him in warm water to get him to do his duty, but he still won't. He is also wobbly and is peeping a lot more than usual. He sounds like he is whimpering or quietly crying. Could his anus be not fully developed? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Look up how to treat pasty butt. Also, next time post right away when this happens. Your chick might die.
Has he ever pooped? If so, that means his vent is not undeveloped, he just has gotten poop stuck there.

Look up how to treat pasty butt. Also, next time post right away when this happens. Your chick might die.
Has he ever pooped? If so, that means his vent is not undeveloped, he just has gotten poop stuck there.
I have gotten all the poop off of his vent. He has pooped a little recently, but it was white and creamy not brown like normal.

I have gotten all the poop off of his vent. He has pooped a little recently, but it was white and creamy not brown like normal.
Try to make sure there is nothing still left inside his vent. You shouldn't have to try to open it, just flush it out with a bit of warm water and then blow on it. If it opens and closes, he should evacuate a ton of poop soon.

Back
Top Bottom