Chick can't stand

Katy

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jun 29, 2007
Kansas~50+ yrs of chickens
I had 8 BLRW chicks hatch since yesterday afternoon. They're all doing well except for one that seems not to be able to use one of it's legs. It's chipper and alert but when it tries to move that leg can't hold it's weight and it rolls onto it's side. It can move it and the toes, so I don't think it's broken. I've given it sugar water and have it in a butter container to hold it upright and keep it contained. Any suggestions what else to do for it? I hope I don't have to cull it....I hate doing that
sad.png

Katy

Check the angle of her legs and if it is slipping out, try splinting it as if treating for "splayed legs". You can find lots of stuff bout that under search. Otherwise, just give it another day for them to get to their feet. I've had some stumblers who took about 48 hours to figure out they had feet.

DON'T CULL IT YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THAT! This has happened to me, give him starter feed, water, and try putting him in the sun, it will give him vitamin d which helps him have stronger bones. Also take him away from the others, and let him rest. he will heal on it's own. Good luck!

Culling it will be a last resort. I hate doing that and only do it if all options have been exhausted. He is by himself...still in the hatcher actually.

It really doesn't look like it's leg is slipping out...more like it just collapses under it. I think I'll go ahead and try and treat it like it's splay leg and see what happens.

Katy, can you post a pic so we can see if it is spraddled? If it's spraddled, it should be treated as soon as possible for the best outcome.

Jody

I've never figured out how to post pictures here.
roll.png
I found a picture of a spraddle legged chick and he doesn't look like that. One leg seems normal and the other collapses under him and he falls to that side. I tried to do the band-aid treatment, but couldn't manage it by myself. As soon as my hubby comes home, I'm gonna recruit him as a chick holder. He hasn't been on anything slippery, so I don't know what his issue is.

He hatched either late yesterday evening or during the night.

He's only been on rubber shelf liner in the hatcher.

It can move that leg and foot. He can push against my finger with that leg.

This may be completely wrong. I am only on my 3rd hatch so I am no expert.

Out of my 10 chicks that have hatched the last few days a few were really weak
for the first day. We thought one may be sprayed. We kept all
the chicks together and moved them into the brooder today. The
strong ones tend to walk over and force the weak ones to walk around.

So, I suggest you keep them all together and wait it out. My weak ones
were all at the feeder a few minutes ago and are doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom