Chick can't straighten leg

AmericanaGal13

Hatching
Apr 20, 2015
I have a chick I rescued from the tractor supply I work at, she can't straighten her leg out, it's impossible for me to bend it for her. She eats and drinks on her own just walks around using one leg though.

It's there any hope for her?

Some leg issues can be due to a vitamin deficiency... You could add some B12 and E to her water to see if that helps any. Sav-A-Chick, I believe, has both of those in it. :)

Injury is also another possibility... Or she may just have a congenital defect. If you gently manipulate her leg, can you tell if she's uncomfortable, or is it just "frozen" like that? Can you see any swelling or bruising?

I know of several success stories of one-legged or "stumpy" birds that thrived, but people ultimately question their quality of life. She may never be able to walk properly, scratch the dirt, or dust bathe. It's possible the rest of the flock would pick on her for being different... If you are willing to put in the time and help her along, she can live a good life, but would it be ideal for a chicken?

Only you can decide what is best for your chick. I am sorry she has this leg problem... I hope the vitamins fix her up and resolve whatever it is that's causing this and she goes on to live a long, normal life!

MrsB

PS -
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom