Chick chirping really loudly before bedtime

Darn! From this evenings experience, I think I need to get the birds in the coop as soon as the excessive chirping starts, and cover up the vents which let light in.

Don't cover up the vents - they want that light to be able to make any last minute adjustments while on roost (or to get back on if they fall off). Also you should always have ample ventilation open for them.

Don't cover up the vents - they want that light to be able to make any last minute adjustments while on roost (or to get back on if they fall off). Also you should always have ample ventilation open for them.
There is a small vent that is always open which lets a low amount of light in, enough for the birds to see. It is also right where they sleep, so they get fresh air the whole night up there.

There is a small vent that is always open which lets a low amount of light in, enough for the birds to see. It is also right where they sleep, so they get fresh air the whole night up there.

Hope that vent is good for a minimum 1 sq ft of ventilation per bird year round, or you have other vents that can be used depending on season. If you have hotter summers, more may be necessary to help let out heat. Even in colder climates, in winter, you'll need to find a way to vent out moisture to keep chickens dry and thus warm.

Hope that vent is good for a minimum 1 sq ft of ventilation per bird year round, or you have other vents that can be used depending on season. If you have hotter summers, more may be necessary to help let out heat. Even in colder climates, in winter, you'll need to find a way to vent out moisture to keep chickens dry and thus warm.
Yes, I have big triangular vents on each side of the coop and a thinner one running along the top of one wall, which are exposed during the day and covered up in the evening for the chicks bedtime (with the exception of the thin one)

My pullets do that to and if weee sitting in the yard they come to us chirping it’s sweet. Higher roosts Alone won’t help. They always want to be higher and higher. Make their roost higher but also make it to where they can’t roost where they are in the photo lol

Back
Top Bottom