Chick color

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NoVA Chicks, Dec 23, 2009.

1. NoVA Chicks

NoVA Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Falls Church, VA
    I'm sure this already exists somewhere but I've looked all over and can't find it. Can someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction? I'm just looking for pics of chicks and adults to see how their colors develop.

I have a yellow chick and a blue/yellow chick that I'm assuming will be white and blue as adults?

ETA: The blue/yellow chick is my avatar and here's a picture of him with his yellow hatchmate:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    I am interested in this also. Surely somewhere there is a guide on how to tell what breed by the chick?

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    What kind of chicks are they? They could both be white. It is hard to see the color on the blue/yellow one. I have seen white chicks hatch this color and turn a nice bright white. I have also seen splash and pale blues result, depending on the down color.

4. NoVA Chicks

Sep 6, 2009
    Falls Church, VA
    Quote:These are your "grandchicks" from my last set of Araucana eggs. [​IMG] (The third little guy didn't make it, unfortunately. [​IMG] )

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Oh, sorry about that. Were they MA or A3 eggs that hatched? A3 would definitely be white. MA could be blue or mottled. You can usually tell by the wing tips what color it will be, if they're getting them yet. I'll go see if I can find a pic of my white chicks in both colors for you to take a look.

eta a pic of araucana chick colors: (2 whites, blue, pale blue and black maybe mottled)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  6. NoVA Chicks

Sep 6, 2009
    Falls Church, VA
    I'm pretty sure they were both MA eggs. Forrest, the little guy who didn't make it, was a much darker blue than Number Two, the blue/yellow guy. It's going to be so interesting to see these little guys grow up. [​IMG]

ETA: Okay, I just took a closer look at Number Two's wings and he's definitely got nice bright white tips. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  7. NoVA Chicks

Sep 6, 2009
    Falls Church, VA
    They don't seem as bright white in the light of day, but definitely more white than blue, I'd say.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by