Chick CPR..!!

cow_girl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Ontario
So I just got my chicks wednesday ( 20 mixed.. brown/black/yellow.. im not sure of the breeds lol ) and every one seemed to be doing fine, until last night I was hand feeding them and left for a min... when I came back... boom, there was a brown chick laying on its back, feet in the air, stift as can be, with a limp neck... I freaked and went into chick doctor mode! lol... she didnt seem to be breathing so I quickly ran her to the house, put a towel in the dryer.. and started mixing up some warm sugar water... after feeding her the water mix w/ a syringe I started to rub up her chest under her wings... after about 20 min.. she started gasping for air, and moving a little ( although she couldnt keep her head up )... I kept doing this / wrapping her in the warm towel for about an hour... then she started breathing slowly on her own / peeping a little... I kept her in last night under a lamp to try and keep her super warm and happy... and low and behold... she woke me this morning by tapping on the little fish tank she was in, and running around like CRAZY!
lol.png
..... I still dont know what happened to her, and Ive put her back in the brooder ( she seems to be doing fine now, although she does look a little smaller than the rest of them ) hopefully she makes a full recovery w/out any brain damage or anything... has this happened to anyone else???

Awesome!!! Congrats to you and "baby"
hugs.gif
woot.gif
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who tries to save the sick ones. I actually took one to the VET~~~

How did you get "her" 'to drink? What is the ration of sugar/water you used?

At first I was just putting droplets from the syringe down her beak...( most ran down the side of her head ) then after I " massaged " her chest for awhile, and she started coming around, I left her for an hour or so under the light alone, untill she could hold her head up on her own and was breathing somewhat normal lol... then I used the syringe and put droplets on her beak and she would tip her head up and let the dops fall into her mouth... I used maybe 1 cup water and 2-3 tsp. of sugar... I was in such a panic I honestly dont remember exactly what I used ...

Back
Top Bottom