Chick Days at TSC

Good question. The lady at TSC asked the same thing tonight. The whites are awfully ugly. Browns are OK. But they are still flighty and agressive. Just personal preference I guess. I have never liked them. Ever haha

Good question. The lady at TSC asked the same thing tonight. The whites are awfully ugly. Browns are OK. But they are still flighty and agressive. Just personal preference I guess. I have never liked them. Ever haha

I prefer Brown Leghorns, but I never thought White Leghorns were ugly. I also consider flighty a positive trait that allows Leghorns to free range and evade predators. I don't think Leghorns are more aggressive than average.

But you are entitled to your opinion.

What breed of chicken are you looking for?

Last edited:
My chickens are pets so I enjoy the tamer birds. I currently have red sex link, light brahma. But I have EE, Barred Rock, and GLW on order for this year. I might have to get some Cochins,Marans, and Buff orps at TSC. I don't think they carry full size Cochins tho. I also don't know about the Marans. Nethier were in the breeds cards they are receiving this year. We'll see.

I am sure you will find some of the breeds on your list. You will have a wide variety if get all of those breeds.

I prefer white leghorns over brown leghorns. In fact my current 2 brown leghorns are on the thinning list to make room for 3 more (chicken math...) white leghorns. For me the whites have been better layers: More frequent and larger eggs. My brown leghorns lay a medium size egg every 2 -3 days. My white leghorns lay a large to extra large eggs nearly every day. My brown leghorns are much more flighty than the whites. And the whites seem smarter.

I prefer white leghorns over brown leghorns. In fact my current 2 brown leghorns are on the thinning list to make room for 3 more (chicken math...) white leghorns. For me the whites have been better layers: More frequent and larger eggs. My brown leghorns lay a medium size egg every 2 -3 days. My white leghorns lay a large to extra large eggs nearly every day. My brown leghorns are much more flighty than the whites. And the whites seem smarter.

We were talking about looks. White Leghorns are the egg-laying champions. But Brown Leghorns usually aren't far behind.

It seems you have some old Brown Leghorns or you just happen to have some poor layers.

If all you want chickens for is eggs, then White Leghorns are the best.

I got six Red Pullets from Tractor supply in Camden SC today. They have Buff Orps as their specialty chicks. They had ducks and Cornish X's too.

They are supposed to get in 100 Bantams today but had no clue what type of Bantams. I was hoping they would get Easter Eggers, I love those!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom