chick died..only one left

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wegs813, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Wegs813

Wegs813 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    I incubated shipped eggs. Out of 12, 10 made it to lockdown. Only two hatched. One is thriving. The other one appeared to have intestines coming out the vent. It fought to live...was alive for about 26 hours and died last night. The one left is soo lonely...cries all the time.
    I do understand the risks of shipped eggs. I blame no one. Its just sad.
    There is another post about the problems I had at hatch time.

2. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    So sorry....[​IMG] Tuck a stuffed animal in there with it, sometimes it helps.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    The same thing happen to me had 2 one had a deformity, it actually lived a week and half, I culled it when it was having trouble reaching the food and water. My poor little hoppy, a FCBM ,was all alone and would hop all over the brooder. On top the water and feeder. She was not around other chickens till she was around 4 months or so. Was even afraid of the outdoors and other chickens and would always come back to the pool in the garage. She even comes to her name when being called. She is a chicken now with friends but very noisy. To make a long story short, give the stuffed animal or feather duster and it'll so fine

4. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    If you are able, put a mirror in there too so it thinks there's another chick in with it...

Goddess [​IMG]

5. Cranman

Cranman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Sanford NC
    My 3 chicks spend alot of time laying on the small stuffed monkey in the brooder, they went to it right away.

6. mlove

mlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    So sad.[​IMG]

7. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Sorry for the loss. I had only one hatch befor and I posted in the wanted section and a very nice and generous member here met me and gave me a chick close to the same age. I am in PA noooo where near you, Why dont you post you would be suprize at the responce you migt get. Good luck, in the mean time put a stuffed animal in with the chick or a small mirror. best of luck.

8. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Quote:You should post your lonely chick thread for Wegs813. It was too cute!!!!! Love the updated pic. Glad they are doing well.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  9. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
  10. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I've also heard that a feather-duster can bring them some comfort in the absence of other chicks...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by