Chick Doing Badly

KatieBug2k6

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2021
Hello. In my previous, everything was peachy with my little chick. She has now shown some issues that look to be neurological. She is doing much better after some extreme tlc. Here's what happened. Lace (the tiny chick) was cold, so I set up my bean bag warmer to babysit her with since she just really wanted to sleep. I set her in a towel on the warmer on our dining room table. I was not supervising her properly and she scrambled out and off the table, falling onto the hard wood floor. I think she hit her head because not long after, she went limp. I feel horrible. She was doing this weird open mouth thing this morning, but so much more severely after the fall. She would open her mouth, push her tongue to her upper beak then close her mouth. She did this until she fell asleep, and when she woke up. Her body seemed to go into hyper mode when she was 'awake'. She leaped, in sudden bursts of energy, like a lopsided frog, almost off the table again. We previously deemed her well enough to go into the big brooder, but now my family and I think it's best if we separate her from the other chicks. They pick on her and play with her like she's a normal chick, she has a scab on her beak and red marks on her toes as proof. It's not aggressive, I'm sure of that though. Lace has barley grown bigger since she hatched, she's a week old and is still tiny. Still smaller than a bantam chick her age. The other two chicks, one for sure a bantam ameracauna/ welsummer (Bean), and one a most likely jersey giant/unknown cross (Eggbert). Both chicks were trying to escape their brooder to find Lace, who was in the small brooder. When I set Lace in the brooder, she had previously been lolling her head around like a giant weight, and was in the process of laying in a dead chick position.
But as I was typing this I heard little peeps coming from her. She had moved away from the main heat area. I picked her up and she opened her eyes, strong as can be, but she immediately went back to sleep (It's past 11 pm).
I realize now that she may be so of okay, just suffered a concussion and almost died kind of thing. I feel really bad, and don't know if we should keep Lace seperated from the other chicks. One thing to know about the other two is, Bean is super sweet, and the oldest, also the friendliest, she doesn't pick on Lace as much as Eggbert does, but still. Eggbert is probably going to be a rooster. He jumps between both Bean and Lace hilariously when outside in a run, since Lace likes to sit in the sun. He, when I go to grab Lace who is always closest to the opening of the brooder, will run to Lace, then to Bean, and back and forth till Lace is not there. He also loves to herd the both of them. So, I'm not sure. Any advice?

(Sorry this is bit of a mess)

She's doing great! We found her some more chick friends (3). Two who were just small (we paid full price), the third has a curved neck (the employee let us smuggle her out for free). They're all perfect for each other and should live long happy lives.

Do you have a picture of the curved neck (just curious)?

She's doing great! We found her some more chick friends (3). Two who were just small (we paid full price), the third has a curved neck (the employee let us smuggle her out for free). They're all perfect for each other and should live long happy lives.
If the new one has wry neck, you can treat with vitamin e. I mix Nutridrench in the water, or feed it directly if there it is bad enough. Can the curved neck bend her head to eat and drink?

This happened yesterday at about 7 pm
What's the chick doing right now?
I would imagine there was some serious damage done by it falling off the table...Assuming the table was not on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom