Chick dosnt look his age

Mountain Granny

Chirping
Apr 15, 2021
Hi !
My orpington hen hatched 2 chicks, 1 died a day later. ( the dad is orpington also )This one stayed with mom inside till she started laying again and went back to the coop. He is very friendly, eats , drinks fine. He lays by the crate of astrolorps and goes in with them to play sometimes but i dont let him stay with them because there is 10 of them and they are bigger than him. The astrolorps are a few days older than him that are way bigger than him.
I was pretty sure he was a rooster. But he is 8 weeks old today and still looks very small.
So question #1 Does he look like a rooster ?
Question # 2 Should I be worried?
The 3rd picture is a Cockrell I ordered that is 4 weeks old. In my opinion it looks like a pellet. What do yall think ?
Thanks for any advice !!
20210612_112948.jpg
20210612_112949_1.jpg
20210612_113156.jpg

It looks like a pullet to me although since it's underdeveloped it still could be a cockerel. What have you been feeding it? Do you feed it chick starter? Chick starter usually has vitamins necessary to a chick's diet usually to help chicks grow. You should also add some electrolytes to it's water for the same reason. If you want you may also feed it some fruit/vegetables to also help its growing.

It looks like a pullet to me although since it's underdeveloped it still could be a cockerel. What have you been feeding it? Do you feed it chick starter? Chick starter usually has vitamins necessary to a chick's diet usually to help chicks grow. You should also add some electrolytes to it's water for the same reason. If you want you may also feed it some fruit/vegetables to also help its growing.
Been feeding chick starter/grower. Same as the other chicks. I do have some electrolytes I can give.

Orps can be tough to sex. I can't say if it's a pullet or cockerel, could go either way.

Without other birds of same breed and age to compare side by side it's hard to say if he/she is small for their age.

Back
Top Bottom