Chick feed too big?

Clucksaway

Hatching
Apr 30, 2021
France
One of my chicks has hatched 2 days earlier than expected and I hadn't had a chance to pick up their food yet so I asked my.parter to pick some up on the way home from work. It says chick feed on the bag but it seems very big for newly hatched chicks and is not what I would have and have bought in the past. Do you think it will be OK? or should I get a different one?

Attachments

• 20210430_214238.jpg
    20210430_214238.jpg
    693 KB · Views: 52
I'm not sure I would feed that. It looks like it has chunks of cracked corn and sunflower seeds and other things in it which, aside from the size, would be very hard for a newly hatched chick to develop without access to lots of grit.

It almost looks more like a scratch grain mix to me. I'm wondering if somehow the bag was mislabeled.

yeah it's not great, they would need grit to digest that and like you say can be quite big for chicks. I prefer ready made chick crumbs. What you have would be great as a treat once or twice a week but you would need to add grit and finding grit for chicks is challenging too - I've bought pidgeon grit as it is smaller than chicken grit for this purpose, not sure what others do tbh.
It's better than nothing for now, if you have a mixer you could try crushing it down a bit smaller but my main concern like said would be grit.
Get something more suitable as soon as you can, I'm sure the shop will have had several differnt varieties and although this one has been cut down for chicks they are still considered more of an occasional treat than a specially formulated chick feed.

It was my thought aswell, she hatched yesterday afternoon and by lunchtime today was trying to drink the condensation for the incubator so I had to take her out and give her food and water, i followed the advice I found on here and mixed up rolled oats and boiled egg yolk and asked SO to pick up a bag on the way home from work. I will follow my instincs on this and go and get something else tomorrow morning. I have to go out anyway and get a new bilb for my lamp which decided to blow aswell not much else can possibly go wrong can it? 😅

I was going to say I saw this kind of feed in Europe in the past. I see you have since updated your location to France. It's still good as a treat so not a waste, just not all it needs right now

I was going to say I saw this kind of feed in Europe in the past. I see you have since updated your location to France. It's still good as a treat so not a waste, just not all it needs right now
My thoughts aswell, I'm going to give it to my other 2 remaining hens who are having a rough time right now (locked up in our conservatory because of a major coop breech by a fox)

Agreeing with everyone else here. This is a really awful chick feed and shouldn't be marketed as one. Corn is a filler, as are most of the other seeds and won't give them any nutrition. Chicks need a lot of protein and other vitamins and this would give them next to nothing.

I definitely wouldn't feed this. You want to look for a chick crumble (small bits), and read the ingredients on the back as well. Good luck with your little ones!

(It should look like the first or second one below)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210430-163730~2.png
    Screenshot_20210430-163730~2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom