Chick Feeding

earlybird

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Oregon City
So, I've been told that after 8 weeks the chicks shouldn't be fed chick starter/grower any more. Do they immediately go onto layer crumbles?

After 8 weeks, I usually put our chicks on Grower/Finisher feed. I don't feed layer until right before they are supposed to be laying or start laying.

I try and slowly adjust them into the different feeds but sometimes it doesn't always work that way because TSC may not have the feeds that we want so we just play it by ear.

I hope this makes sense!

Dawn

Some feed stores don't carry anything except starter/grower and layer. I use starter/grower non medicated forever. I don't feel layer has enough protein. I give extra calcium by placing oyster shell free choice in the coop. Many people use starter/grower until the chickens start to lay. It will not hurt them at all. Even if you are using medicated, they need the extra protein while they are growing. Most chickens are not mature until at least 16 weeks. Some meat birds mature earlier.

Egg laying is the pivotal event. When they get to that age, at around 6 months, you will want to shift them to layer feed. What you do prior to that makes little difference, as long as you are feeding 18-20% protein or more.
I keep it simple and use grower until they get to 5 months or so, then switch them to layer. I don't have a hard and fast timetable I stick to, I just do it when they are ready. You'll know when they arent babies and are ready to start on the layer.
Use common sense. Cocks fall in line with the layers and get the same feed.

AS for the feeding of grain, you should be careful. Grain should be only a part of their overall diet, as it alone doesn't offer enough of the right nutrients. In the wild, jungle fowl eat seeds, grains, shoots, nuts, grasses, insects, grubs, fruit, etc. They are really omnivorous eaters. Ideally, the "yard bird" would get a variety of grains, meat and green feeds, each in separate feeders and they could eat as they wanted of each.

This is impractical, so it is generally best to feed a prepared ration, some grain in the form of scratch or cracked grain as available and allow them to forage at will among green plants. The latter can be fed as supplement, if true range forage isn't available.

My chicks like oatmeal (dry) as a special treat. When can you start feeding them fruit/veggies?

i suggest something that is soft? idk
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom