Chick fell out of nest, cold and not moving much

monicamarie83

Chirping
Jan 2, 2023
Help! A chick hatched out yesterday, was doing great but I'm guessing it fell out of the nest last night or this morning and I thought it was dead... It moved when I picked it up but it's really really cold! I brought it inside and gave it some electrolyte and put it under the heat lamp.. will it survive? What should I do? It's moving around a little more since I brought it in, trying to flop around so oh I hope that's a good sign! Any advice is appreciated!

Do you have photos of the chick?

I assume the chick was hatched by a broody hen, how many other chicks have hatched?
Is the nest on the floor or ground or raised up a bit?
Did the broody react when you too the chick?

The best you can do is keep the chick warm. Giving a couple of drops of warmed sugar water or electrolytes is good, give one drop at a time.

Make sure your chick is not overheating under the lamp and the floor of the brooder is not slick so they chick will be able to move about without sliding.

Sometimes a chick that is weak or has something wrong with it, the brooder will scoot it out of the nest, essentially abandoning it. Hopefully this is not the case and the chick just got lost and will be able to recover. If she does recover, put her with the broody and see if Mama will accept her. (Monitor the interaction, some broodies may not take back a chick that has been moved, even for a short period of time).

Do you have photos of the chick?

I assume the chick was hatched by a broody hen, how many other chicks have hatched?
Is the nest on the floor or ground or raised up a bit?
Did the broody react when you too the chick?

The best you can do is keep the chick warm. Giving a couple of drops of warmed sugar water or electrolytes is good, give one drop at a time.

Make sure your chick is not overheating under the lamp and the floor of the brooder is not slick so they chick will be able to move about without sliding.

Sometimes a chick that is weak or has something wrong with it, the brooder will scoot it out of the nest, essentially abandoning it. Hopefully this is not the case and the chick just got lost and will be able to recover. If she does recover, put her with the broody and see if Mama will accept her. (Monitor the interaction, some broodies may not take back a chick that has been moved, even for a short period of time).
It seems to have recovered! I took all 4 inside and gave them some medicated feed and water. Today was a cold day . She was fine with it yesterday after I was messing with it so I'm thinking it just fell through the slats and she couldn't get to it... I had her and the eggs in a slatted crate on blocks because the other chickens wouldn't stop adding their eggs to hers . I put cardboard around it to prevent this but it backfired on me... She's on one more egg so I left her alone but I'm going to move them all tomorrow to a secure place and hopefully she'll take them back... If not I already have a slew of chicks inside I'll add them to it! It just really scared me! It was so cold... Like dead cold but moving... It was kinda disturbing... But it's the loudest one and doing great now!

Back
Top Bottom