Chick foot problem please help!

Can you get some Hibiclens chlorhexidene in the first aid aisle at Walmart? It is mixed half and half with water. I would clean it twice a day with that, and put some plain Neosporin/Triple Antibiotic Ointment and a gauze dressing on it. It could be that the Epsom salts are a little too strong for a chick’s feet. Maybe @Wyorp Rock has other advice, which would be fine. There was another little chick recently who kept getting split feet, and had to be put down. There could be something making the chick especially susceptible to foot problems. If you could get some human vitamin B complex and crush 1/2 tablet daily over their feed, that would supply biotin which might be helpful.

I came to check on them and took off the wraps to check and her foot was swollen. It’s like a blister and part of the skin broke from the wrap being too tight but she seemed fine when I put it on. They’re currently in Epsom salt and I feel terrible.
I put peroxide on it and it didn’t bubble. Only put bandages on once.
Drops of liquid are coming out. Should I keep them off the bedding and in a separate box in the brooder so the shaving don’t get caught on the wound or attempt to rewrap it?
How should I wrap it? Because that’s how their feet swell and got cut was from the wrapping being too tight.
Poor thing! It's getting worse isn't it.
Is vet care an option for you?

What did you wrap the feet with?

I agree, I would try Chlorhexidine instead of the epsom salts for soaking/cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom