Chick got lick lots by dog

I would get the chick calmed down and out of shock first. This may take a little while. Just leave it in a warm stress free environment. If you have nutri drench or sugar water, you can offer that, but first let the chick calm down and out of panic mode. Others with a lot of knowledge will be along soon.
Yes, and I would add - make sure the dog is not present or barking in the chick area and that the chick feels safe.

If it's still chilly, then it might not be good for them to go outside...
but a small brooder wouldn't be great for them either...
if you get more brooders, bigger ones, though, and divide the chicks between those brooders, maybe that would work.
Or a nice big cardboard box with bedding, a feeder and waterer and a heat lamp would be good too.
Good luck!

I have a chick that went through a similar experience this morning. I gently washed her with warm softly running water & Ive had her wrapped up & on a heating pad. She’s chirping some & perked up when I brought her bestie in for a visit. Now she’s back to sleeping. She’s been picked on by our bigger 3 in the last few weeks so I’ve been keeping her inside with me more than the others (they go out in their yard during the day) so she’s used to being with me but I’m also not a chick. Should I put her & her bestie in the brooder with heat lamp or keep her wrapped up & on the heating pad?
Also, I’m a little worried about dehydration. I’ve only been able to get her to drink electrolyte water once. I keep offering it to her in a small dish I use in the brooder when the others have the chick waterer outside. I’ve dipped my pinky in it & dripped a little on her beak so she knows it’s water but has no interest in drinking. It’s only been about 2 hours, when should I be concerned?

Back
Top Bottom