Chick Grit Substitutes?

saving grace

Loving Life
Premium Feather Member
Feb 2, 2021
Canada
My chicks are soon to be 2 weeks old, and I want to start feeding them treats in small amounts. We tried to get some chick grit at two different tractor supply stores, but they don't sell it there. The employees didn't even know what it was and were laughing. :barnie

I really want to start feeding them things other than chick starter, and also want to take them outside soon. Are there any chick grit substitutes I can use?

My first bag I ordered from Amazon before I found the feed store we are currently using. I'm not sure about substitutes.

Could you please elaborate a bit? At this point I'm wondering if I should just try to scavenge some really small rocks outside or something. :confused:

Yeah. Sorry for being snarky when you were asking a real question...

That's all chick grit is. Fine gravel. It's sold as a dirt substitute for chicks that don't go outside. It's perfectly fine to go get a scoop of gritty dirt or fine gravel from your yard or driveway and give it to them in a shallow dish. I sprinkle some food on top to encourage them to scratch and peck.

Yeah. Sorry for being snarky when you were asking a real question...

That's all chick grit is. Fine gravel. It's sold as a dirt substitute for chicks that don't go outside. It's perfectly fine to go get a scoop of gritty dirt or fine gravel from your yard or driveway and give it to them in a shallow dish. I sprinkle some food on top to encourage them to scratch and peck.
Alright, thanks for the answer! :)

To be honest, the whole time I was researching chick grit I was wondering why you couldn't just go find some gravel outside?? A bit confusing all in all because I'm extremely careful with my chicks, and I want to make sure I'm not giving them anything dangerous, meanwhile I'm seeing so many mixed thoughts on if giving them substitutes is safe or not.

I just give my chicks a dish of dirt to encourage dust bathing and finding their own grit. I've never provided grit for my chickens and have some over a year old. Have never had any crop issues. But we do live where the ground is very rocky, to the point we are in the process of digging fence post and cant get to a foot deep without hitting rock.

I just give my chicks a dish of dirt to encourage dust bathing and finding their own grit. I've never provided grit for my chickens and have some over a year old. Have never had any crop issues. But we do live where the ground is very rocky, to the point we are in the process of digging fence post and cant get to a foot deep without hitting rock.
Thanks for the info! :D

Back
Top Bottom