Chick grit

Kala98

In the Brooder
Oct 3, 2015
Ireland
Hey I have 5 chicks that are 10 days old just wondering would it be ok to just give them the limestone grit I feed to the older hens if I grind it up smaller for them
Also just if anyone can advise me on when would be best to move them outside to join the older hens I only have 2 1 year old buff orpingtons outside but when would the chicks be old enough to join them
Thanks for the help

I gradually move mine into the big girls coop starting at 12 weeks. They are fully in there at 16 weeks.
I don't feed mine grit until they get to 16 weeks. They don't need grit now so I wouldn't even bother giving it to them

I gradually move mine into the big girls coop starting at 12 weeks. They are fully in there at 16 weeks.
I don't feed mine grit until they get to 16 weeks. They don't need grit now so I wouldn't even bother giving it to them

Ok thanks
So u don't give them grit even if u give them treats or u stay away from treats all together
Thanks again

Yes, go ahead and give them the grit, and grinding it smaller may help. My chicks are six days old and have been eating grit since day one. They got their first meal worms on the third day.

The best way to integrate chicks with adults is with the panic room system. It involves a safe enclosure next to the adults for a short period of a week or so, and you may begin now, then opening chick-size openings in the pen so the chicks can mingle with the adults and scooting back inside the pen if the going gets rough. Keep food and water in the safe enclosure so the chicks don't have to compete with the adults for essentials. I usually wait until age three weeks for the chicks to have matured enough to understand they need to be careful around big chickens before opening the portals and letting them mingle with the adults.

It's very beneficial to begin integration while the chicks are still small and present no threat to the adult chickens. I've discovered there is far less conflict and bullying than if you wait until the chicks are nearly the same size. But using the panic room system is the best way to assure the safety of the small fry.

I have pictures of my set up in and article on brooding outdoors, linked below my post.

Ok thanks
So u don't give them grit even if u give them treats or u stay away from treats all together
Thanks again
If you are giving them treats (other than soft mushy stuff like eggs or yogurt) then yes, they need the added grit to help digest- unless they are outside and can range in the dirt and provide natural grit for themselves.

Back
Top Bottom