Chick grit

You can feed it until they are almost ready to start laying. Then, once they start laying, if you only have hens, you can switch to a layer feed. I have a rooster that I don't want getting all the extra calcium in layer feed, so I feed Flock Raiser and leave out a dish of oyster shell grit for the girls to eat.
What about grower feed?

What about grower feed?
I feed a Medicated Start and Grow feed 18% till at least 10 weeks old, then when bag is empty I switch to a Non-medicated Starter Grower feed 18% and continue to feed throughout Adulthood with Oyster Shells separately.
I've never fed a Grower feed. I feed 18% Protein minimum to all ages. I'll also feed a All-flock crumble 20% if my preferred feed isn't available when I'm at TSC.

I mix Chick Grit into feed at a ratio of 1 to 40, beginning at 2 weeks till 10 weeks. 2 ounces Grit to 5 lbs feed.

I offer Adult size Poultry Grit in a separate container at 7 weeks throughout Adulthood.
20190212_113457.jpg

I offer Oyster Shells separately at 15 weeks old.
20190212_113536.jpg
20200827_090053.jpg

GC

I feed a Medicated Start and Grow feed 18% till at least 10 weeks old, then when bag is empty I switch to a Non-medicated Starter Grower feed 18% and continue to feed throughout Adulthood with Oyster Shells separately.
I've never fed a Grower feed. I feed 18% Protein minimum to all ages. I'll also feed a All-flock crumble 20% if my preferred feed isn't available when I'm at TSC.

I mix Chick Grit into feed at a ratio of 1 to 40, beginning at 2 weeks till 10 weeks. 2 ounces Grit to 5 lbs feed.

I offer Adult size Poultry Grit in a separate container at 7 weeks throughout Adulthood. View attachment 2545357
I offer Oyster Shells separately at 15 weeks old.View attachment 2545358View attachment 2545367
GC
From the bottom of my eye, it looked like you vac-sealed a chicken.

What about grower feed?
Ive never used grower feed. You can, but it's not necessary. I use my starter feed until point of lay. If I have some left, I'll use it until the bag is empty before switching to Flock Raiser. It won't hurt them either way. The starter feed has everything they need until they lay.

7 lbs of chick grit will last for eternity. I have a little pint canister of chick grit, and still have plenty of it, 3 groups of chicks later.

I start offering grit right away, as my chicks are outdoors and prone to eating anything they can put their beaks on.

As far as grower feed, what I do is get 1 bag of chick feed (for a very small flock, 10 lbs might be enough, otherwise 25 lbs) and I feed it until it runs out, which is somewhere around 5-6 weeks. Then I transition to grower, and feed that until they lay. You do not NEED to switch to grower, I do so because I like the texture and consistency of it better than chick feed.

7 lbs of chick grit will last for eternity. I have a little pint canister of chick grit, and still have plenty of it, 3 groups of chicks later.

I start offering grit right away, as my chicks are outdoors and prone to eating anything they can put their beaks on.

As far as grower feed, what I do is get 1 bag of chick feed (for a very small flock, 10 lbs might be enough, otherwise 25 lbs) and I feed it until it runs out, which is somewhere around 5-6 weeks. Then I transition to grower, and feed that until they lay. You do not NEED to switch to grower, I do so because I like the texture and consistency of it better than chick feed.
What about "grower grit?"

Back
Top Bottom