Chick has a lame leg (HELP!)

BowdrieRanch

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2020
Hi everyone :) I have month old lame baby chick that my neighbors gave to me to try to nurse back to health. As you can see in photos in looks as though something is cutting of circulation. Also, it’s leg sticks far out from its body. I’ve moved it’s legs and it can go back to normal without screaming as though in pain, but chicky can’t keep it there. My neighbors have no idea how this happened and the chicks did not have bands on their legs. I need tips on how to get the swelling to go down. And if chicky possibly has a disease? Can chicky be saved or put down?? Please help. Thank you <3

Attachments

• EF8843E6-E765-4DED-83C1-E18A40D935E9.jpeg
    EF8843E6-E765-4DED-83C1-E18A40D935E9.jpeg
    343 KB · Views: 48
  • 80DBDB12-0F7A-45FF-B49A-79709EA363F8.jpeg
    80DBDB12-0F7A-45FF-B49A-79709EA363F8.jpeg
    985.2 KB · Views: 15
Looks like the chick had something wrapped around the leg - maybe still does(?).
Possibly caught it in something and the leg was trapped for a good while, but with the wound going all the way around the leg, I would suspect a band, string, hair, etc.

The leg splayed out the side is concerning. I wonder if it's from injury or if she has a leg deformity.

I am not a vet, so if vet care is possible for you that would be good.
Clean the wound well with Chlorhexidine or Betadine, debride the area and do some probing for a string, hair, etc. the foot still looks strangled to me. Hopefully you find something.
Clean well with the Chlorhexidine or Betadine, let dry. Apply Triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn to the wound.
If you are keeping her inside on clean dry bedding, I would probably leave the wound uncovered unless she's bothering it. If you feel it needs covered, use a small strip of gauze pad over the raw area, then lightly wrap with vet wrap to secure the pad.

As for the leg splayed out like that I'm not sure what to do about that. Maybe placing her in a sling might help since she doesn't seem bothered with you moving it around.

Let's get @Eggcessive and @coach723 to take a look as well, they may have other suggestions.

I agree, I would look for a hair or something still wrapped around the leg. Can you ask the neighbor if she has splay legs, and they tried to put a hobble on her legs to bring them closer? Some people use rubber bands and those may become tight. I do think that she might have splay legs, or possibly a hip dislocation. Hairs or strings can become wrapped around legs easily and can cut off circulation. I would try to hobble the legs closer together and place her in a sling or chick chair. But I would use vet wrap or cohesive bandage like this picture above the injury—you might wait a day to do that, but she may not be anle to walk if her legs stay splayed:
1587840353018.png

Looks like the chick had something wrapped around the leg - maybe still does(?).
Possibly caught it in something and the leg was trapped for a good while, but with the wound going all the way around the leg, I would suspect a band, string, hair, etc.

The leg splayed out the side is concerning. I wonder if it's from injury or if she has a leg deformity.

I am not a vet, so if vet care is possible for you that would be good.
Clean the wound well with Chlorhexidine or Betadine, debride the area and do some probing for a string, hair, etc. the foot still looks strangled to me. Hopefully you find something.
Clean well with the Chlorhexidine or Betadine, let dry. Apply Triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn to the wound.
If you are keeping her inside on clean dry bedding, I would probably leave the wound uncovered unless she's bothering it. If you feel it needs covered, use a small strip of gauze pad over the raw area, then lightly wrap with vet wrap to secure the pad.

As for the leg splayed out like that I'm not sure what to do about that. Maybe placing her in a sling might help since she doesn't seem bothered with you moving it around.

Let's get @Eggcessive and @coach723 to take a look as well, they may have other suggestions.
Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom