Chick hatched but I believe it may be premature. Help please.

into_my_web

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Newfoundland
Last night one of my chicks began to break the egg and when I woke up this morning I looked in the incubator and he was out of the egg. The chick seems to be fine but he isn't walking right, he waddles and his feet bend in weird ways when he tries to walk e sometimes and he keeps falling over. I don't think he is fully developed and I'm not quite sure what to do. Besides the walking he seems fine though, he's peeping and moving around a lot. Can someone help me please?

Last edited:
I had one that hatched with the feet curling in, he was healthy other than that. I made him "booties" out of some bandage tape I had. I'd put his foot on the sticky side of the tape, then double it over the top of his foot. Position his toes where they need to be. before doubling over tape. Press the tape together, between his toes, so that the tape sticks to it's self. Be sure his "thumb" in the back isn't taped in, leave it out. Then trim very carefully around the whole thing to make it the width, length and shape you need. He soon learned to walk in them,,, he stumbled and fell on his head a few times... lol, then he got around great in them, when I took them off, veryyyy carefully in about 4 days his feet were perfectly normal.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom