Chick hatched Monday, stuck on back

LarryPQ

Easter Hatch!!
10 Years
Jul 17, 2009
I had a chick hatch Monday, right before I left for work. When I looked in the incubator, he had just popped (edjucated guess) and was lying on his back.

There were 4 others pipping/zipping so I left said chick in the incubator.

When I got home, he had dried stuck to the "sqooshy" liner I put in bottom of the hatcherbator. He was in a different position than when I left him, but still on his back. I peeled him off, gave him a good scrubbing & blow dry, and put him in the brooder.

Unfortunately, he is still "stuck" in that position. I have been flipping him over, "propping" him up with a wash cloth, and putting mash right in front of him. I give him electrolytes & water 3-4 times a day, with an eye-dropper. He is healthy otherwise, nothing visible wrong with his legs, does lots of kicking, and peeps with gusto.

But, he still keeps flipping over. Cannot "motor" around in a normal fashion.

Is it time to cull or do I give him a few more days?

Put him in a heavy drinking glass, the short kind works great, just big enough to fit it and put non skid liner or paper towel at the bottom of glass then put chick in. The glass gives it something to press agents to help push up.

Good call. I will try that when I get home, then give him a few days.

Hope it might help.......
fl.gif

Update: When I got home from work yesterday, baby was still on its back, kicking up a storm. I flipped him over, and when he saw the "Scary hand from above" he wigged out, stood up, and tried to run away. Yes, you heard me, lazy bones RAN away.

So, I gave him a BUNCH of electrolytes, water, and even got him to eat a teeny bit. He still flipped over, and then seemed stuck, but at least those instincts and muscles are developing.

THEN: This morning before I left for work, I went in to give him is liquids, and the little turd was sitting up! He even walked a little! Yay!

I will keep close eye on him, but I remain hopeful. I'm thinking by the time the next eggies are due (the 20th), he'll be right on par with the new babies. If he lives, he's gonna need a name...ideas?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom