Chick hatched with no eyes!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jen5680

Southside Silkie Shack
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
SW Ohio
I have never seen anything like this and I have no clue what to do?????
Any suggestions?

Can we have a picture? Maybe she just has her eyes closed? I had one that hatched last night and just laid around with her eyes closed all night. This morning she was walking around and looking at me just fine.

I will try and get some pictures but I don't want to open the bator again because I still have some hatching.
Oh the eyes are not there!! They aren't just closed. You no how you can see the black area were the eye usually is, well
she/he doesnt have it at all. I pulled the feathers back to get a really good look and I couldn't see anything!! Hopefully you are
right but I don't think so. This is day 2 and no change.

I have heard of people raising blind chicks before- and I currently have a blind duckling that manages very well in the brooder so far. He uses his beak and feet to find his way around. he talks to the others- and walks in their direction when he hears them eat or drink.

The think to consider about this one is- if it is missing its eyes-- there may be other deformities that are currently not visable- or are internal. If you choose to keep it- it will most likely make a wonderful pet- but may need to be housed separate to others for its own safety and protection.

Wait until you have a chance to thoroughly examine it outside of the incubator. It's possible the eyelids are fused together or some other minor problem you aren't seeing accurately. I've raised a blind duck, rooster, horse and dog at different points and will testify that it can be done. Please update on the baby's condition.

oh my...
please update ... with pics if possible
sad.png

I have a little blind hen that does just fine. She lays an egg every day, does her little dance and her little roo tells her were things are. I have her seperated from the others with just her and him, but she seems very happy......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom