Chick hatched without beak!

He doesn’t seem to be suffering. He chirps and hobbles around and naps and wakes up chirping. We have been giving him water with a syringe, I just haven’t figured out how to get food into him.
For him to eat or drink the food and water will have to be deep enough for him to get his whole beak into

He doesn’t seem to be suffering. He chirps and hobbles around and naps and wakes up chirping. We have been giving him water with a syringe, I just haven’t figured out how to get food into him.
Poor thing. It is probably still doing alright at the moment because it still has some yolk left to live on. I think that will be quite difficult to keep the chick fed without tubing it or getting food down the wrong pipe. I would cull if I hatched a chick with that issue, but I don't have the time to "baby" sick or malformed chicks that don't have much of a chance. If you have time and energy you might be able to keep the chick alive, but I agree with @DobieLover. If the chick's external deformity is that bad, it may have worse issues on the inside that will kill it eventually, even if you do figure out how to feed it.

Poor thing. It is probably still doing alright at the moment because it still has some yolk left to live on. I think that will be quite difficult to keep the chick fed without tubing it or getting food down the wrong pipe. I would cull if I hatched a chick with that issue, but I don't have the time to "baby" sick or malformed chicks that don't have much of a chance. If you have time and energy you might be able to keep the chick alive, but I agree with @DobieLover. If the chick's external deformity is that bad, it may have worse issues on the inside that will kill it eventually, even if you do figure out how to feed it.
That’s what I’m thinking too. It’s 3 days old now so needs to start eating to survive. And I don’t plan to have a chicken that I tube feed every day ha ha

Back
Top Bottom