Chick hatched without beak!

I'm for giving the chick a chance. Post on the emergency medical and see what they say!
The chick died.
It would be impossible for it to live without supportive care all day, every day. And even with that, quality of life would be horrid.
I used to work with Scarlet and Great Green macaws.
Before a pair of Scarlets came to us, they had been caged right next to a Hyacinth cage. The male Scarlet stuck its beak through the bars and it was bitten off by the Hyacinth. The rest of its life, its mate had to feed it.

The chick died.
It would be impossible for it to live without supportive care all day, every day. And even with that, quality of life would be horrid.
I used to work with Scarlet and Great Green macaws.
Before a pair of Scarlets came to us, they had been caged right next to a Hyacinth cage. The male Scarlet stuck its beak through the bars and it was bitten off by the Hyacinth. The rest of its life, its mate had to feed it.
And that's what we as animal owners should be thinking about. We have a responsibility to keep them safe and give them a good quality of life.

Kindness is often euthanasia. You CANNOT give this chick the care it needs unless you devote your waking life to it's care. You can easily drown it while giving it water. The reason the chick is okay right now is the strength it gained from the yolk sac before hatching; that won't last. You're about at the end of that bonus, and the chick will start to suffer. I know that's hard with an emotionally invested child, but depending on age this might be the best time to learn about the responsibility that comes with animal care. If the child is too young, you can euthanize it at night and do the "it died in it's sleep" thing. I don't recommend that if the child is old enough, because in reality nothing dies "painlessly in (it's) sleep" and if people grow up believing that lie, they avoid taking responsibility and doing the right thing.
Good luck; sorry. But--if you go on hoping, you are most likely dooming this chick to suffering before dying.

Kindness is often euthanasia. You CANNOT give this chick the care it needs unless you devote your waking life to it's care. You can easily drown it while giving it water. The reason the chick is okay right now is the strength it gained from the yolk sac before hatching; that won't last. You're about at the end of that bonus, and the chick will start to suffer. I know that's hard with an emotionally invested child, but depending on age this might be the best time to learn about the responsibility that comes with animal care. If the child is too young, you can euthanize it at night and do the "it died in it's sleep" thing. I don't recommend that if the child is old enough, because in reality nothing dies "painlessly in (it's) sleep" and if people grow up believing that lie, they avoid taking responsibility and doing the right thing.
Good luck; sorry. But--if you go on hoping, you are most likely dooming this chick to suffering before dying.
It died.

I had a similar situation with my goose at birth. You dont need to put the little one down. I fed him by hand until he was about 2 weeks old, then had my vet make him a prosthetic beak. Had to replace it with a permanent one as he got older. He's 2 years old now and is quite happy!
Most people couldn't afford that, even if they could find a vet with the expertise.

I had a button quail hatch one time with no top beak and no eyes. Plus it's bottom beak was long and curved. I didn't know this, I had noticed an egg that was 2 days behind and had internally pipped. I made a safety hole and waited 2 more days. I then opened the egg and discovered the horrific looking chick inside. Thankfully, it passed almost immediately after hatch. It would have never made it on its own. Never.
I should have taken a picture but I really am trying to forget what it looked like.

Most people couldn't afford that, even if they could find a vet with the expertise.
Nor would I want to put an animal through that. I am probably quick on the "put it out of its misery" trigger, but after having tried to save some hopeless causes, I realized that I was doing more harm than good. There is a difference between preserving life and prolonging death.

If one does enough hatching, deformities will appear.
I once hatched a chick with 3 legs. One normal, one a club foot and another not functioning coming out of the vent. After a few pictures, I put it down.
Can we see those pictures?

Back
Top Bottom