Chick hatched without beak!

Hi! My son incubated and hatched 2 chicks. One was born with no top beak! He has been in the incubator 3 days now and it’s time he starts eating but I don’t know what to give him. Any ideas or advice?
Although I have not heard of chicks born without a beak, I am somewhat familiar with birds losing a top beak. We have a small parrot that lost her top beak 3 years ago! They do not grow back. But if your son is willing to put in the extra effort, it's possible this chick can learn to get along. We feed our parrot a human baby food cereal (three grain) mix and puree fruit. Other than the mixing of the special food, she drinks water and gets around very well. It took a little while and some extra careful attention but she does just fine and has even learned to climb just as well as our others. She's a little sweetheart and as tough as they come. If your little chick is given a little extra love with baby cereal and water and he makes it through the next few days, you'll have a little fighter that'll probably do just fine. Good Luck, Doc

He passed naturally the next day
Hi! My son incubated and hatched 2 chicks. One was born with no top beak! He has been in the incubator 3 days now and it’s time he starts eating but I don’t know what to give him. Any ideas or advice?

I’m so sorry he passed, you and your son must be upset as I would be!
I think when people have lots of experience with chickens and / or don’t necessarily keep them as pets, culling chicks who are less likely to survive seems the most obvious and sometimes kindest thing to do. But if you’ve never done this before you would possibly struggle. Also, some chickens born with abnormalities do go on to lead happy lives, and I’m sure that must be down to people spending lots of time supplementing whatever they lack when they are young. It may go against some people’s better judgement perhaps, or for some people it simply doesn’t seem efficient if it’s a business they’re running. But I just think if you have the time and willingness to raise a chick who is born with problems, there can be hope, as long as you recognise it isn’t suffering. I only have hens as pets and last year I spent a considerable amount of time, effort and ‘inventive’ creativity to help one of my hens who had become ill. Again, lots of people wouldn’t... but it’s a judgement you have to make depending on the circumstances.
All I mean to say is... some problems don’t always have to end in culling. I know not everyone will agree but there can be a light at the end of the tunnel sometimes.
I hope you’re both ok x

If one does enough hatching, deformities will appear.
I once hatched a chick with 3 legs. One normal, one a club foot and another not functioning coming out of the vent. After a few pictures, I put it down.
:eek:

Hi, maybe get in touch with your nearest Audubon. They probably could tell you the best course of action. Good luck. :)
Please see post #19. The chick died.

Back
Top Bottom