Chick hatched, yolk sac not absorbed??

Good question, good question. Perhaps its time to look at incubator sanitation and egg washing/sanitation prior to incubation?
If you have info on either of these, I'd love to hear it, I was told you can't hatch eggs without the bloom on it (washed) and I've only ever used bleach to treat the styrofoam incubator, any other methods?

If you have info on either of these, I'd love to hear it, I was told you can't hatch eggs without the bloom on it (washed) and I've only ever used bleach to treat the styrofoam incubator, any other methods?

I wash out the incubator with water (soap where needed) and then wipe dry. Sanitize by wiping with dilute bleach and let sit in sun to dry. However, I don't know that my friend sanitized her incubator, so I should look into that.

I know that you can hatch eggs that have been washed, I read a post on here, someone does it a lot... let me see if I can find it.

Okay, I couldn't find the original post I read, but I did find this one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/clean-eggs-or-not-when-setting.1093112/#post-16793798

I remember it was @duluthralphie talking about how he sanitizes his eggs prior to putting them in the incubator, and has been happy with the results. He does discuss his method in this thread, the post I remember had pictures in it too. There is a limit to how much filth the bloom can protect against.

I believe @duluthralphie washes his eggs in a warm water/bleach solution.

I usually scrub my incubator with a dedicated incubator brush, dish soap and the hottest water available from the tap out on the lawn. I've just switched to Virkon tabs and I saturate everything involved in the incubating process with Virkon. Then I do a hot/cold/hot/cold rinse with the idea that some bacteria/viruses/pathogens can withstand extreme hot temps or cold temps...but usually not the hot/cold switch up in water temps.

I hope the chick is doing ok.:fl If the yolk sac breaks...I've dealt with that and herniated intestines before. I can help if it's needed.:)
(Hopefully it's not needed...but I know how things can go sometimes.)

Back
Top Bottom