1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Chick help with brooder in Coop.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gottalovemychickens, Oct 9, 2009.

1. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

As of right now i have 28 chicks that are 6 weeks old and i want to take the brooder and the chicks to the coop and out of the basement . Our temps right now are near 55 during the day and mid 30's at night and we get snow maybe every 4-5 days as of right now . windchill hits about 20* sometime at night when we do get the snow .

Can i keep the chicks in the horse torugh brooder with 2 heat lamps on them in the 16x16 coop ?? with my 5 pullets that are 6 months old ?

2. gottalovemychickens

please i need help now , i want to put them out tonight

3. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Songster

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    I would think it would be fine but you are going to need a lid for the top of the brooder. I have a little mini pen as we speek in my coop for a few younger chicks. Make sure they stay warm and are not hit by drafts. Hope all goes well [​IMG]

4. gottalovemychickens

Well right now the temp is 20* and wind chill of 7* , im going to keep them in the basement for the next few days hehe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by