Chick holding head down

HeatherMarieR

Chirping
Feb 27, 2015
Somerville, AL
I have an approximately 10 week old chick that is hold his down and acting sluggish. He's up under a bush by my garage and doesn't want to come out. Does anyone have any ideas about what could be wrong with him?

Here's a picture. The older (but slightly smaller) rooster chases the chicks sometimes so I'm wondering if he could have hurt it. My dog got loose and hurt some of the other chicks not too long ago and one of them was acting kind of similar for a few days afterwards.

How are the droppings? Is there any diarrhea or blood in the stools? If the neck is stuck down much of the time it could be wry neck, which can be a symptom of a head injury, a vitamin deficiency, or certain diseases. Treatment for wry neck is vitamins, especially vitamin B1 (thiamine,) vitamin E, and selenium. Poultry Nutri-drench or Poultry Cell 1-3 ml daily given by mouth will supply that. If the chicken is hunching, lethargic, puffed up, and having diarrhea, then it could be coccidiosis, which is best treated with Corid (amprollium.)

It's been free ranging for the last few weeks so I'm not sure what its droppings look like. It is eating, and it looks much better and more active this morning. I'll continue to keep an eye on it though.

Back
Top Bottom