Chick injured foot or leg

silarajc

Chirping
Mar 27, 2017
Western Missouri
I am new to the world of chickens. My chicks arrived Thursday, all was fine. By Saturday night, one of my assumed roos was limping. I gave him a night, and Sunday morning he was still limping (mostly just laying) and the others were walking all over him, so I isolated him in a box where he could still get heat from the heat lamp. I left food and water with him. He seemed weak this afternoon, so we held him and gave him water and offered food. I have some chick gel that I forgot was in the box with the chicks, so I will give that to him later tonight.

As for the injury, it doesn't look like most of what I've read about. There are no obvious bumps or wounds, and I've felt his bones nad joints and they seem to be the same as the other leg. However, his foot is beginning to curl more, and there doesn't seem to be any control of his toes - when i put my finger under his foot, it doesn't curl like the other, it just remains limp. When he was first injured, it was mostly limp but if you stroked it it might straighten or curl. One of his toes now looks like it is under the others. When he stands, he holds it a little forward. He is able to put his weight on the leg briefly to hop. FYI, the chicks were vaccinated for Mareks.

It is his right leg, you can see below...

He's a cute little guy, and my daughters have already named him, so I would really like to figure out what can be done to help him.

If he can't really use the foot, he might have slipped his hock - they aren't always obviously "out" of place, but have injured it enough to damage the nerves/tendons. Its tough with such little chicks, if you can't find the instability in the leg, the best you can do is give him a chance like you are, and see if he gets better. If he starts to do very poorly or his hock blows up in size I would probably cull him :(

welcome-byc.gif

Sorry you aren't joining us under better circumstances, hope the little guy will be ok. Do post on the ER forum you've been given the link for, there are a lot of knowledgeable members there.

Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom