chick injury help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bgeyer, Sep 21, 2012.

1. bgeyer

bgeyer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    I got a free chick that had been picked at by hens. She had a scab on her head. I left her and the other chicks out in the yard. This one went through the fence where my hens are. The one hen picked at her scab before I could get to her. She reopened the wound on her head. The is a piece of flesh, possible brain matter? I am not sure. I cleaned it put neosporin on it and bandage it. What else can I do? I feel awful! she had been out in the yard before and never was bothered by the other hens. How can U tell if it is her brain?

2. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    It sounds like you have done what you can. There is a product called Blukote that is good for wounds. And it makes the area and everything else it gets on a deep blue so the redness is not attracting the others to peck some more. If you use that, suit up because it will stain your clothes, hands etc. I would keep her away from the others until she is healed. A wire cage so they can see each other, but she is not able to be pecked. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by