Chick integration to outside coop and the flock

PalomaNova

Songster
5 Years
Jul 4, 2018
Europe
Hi all! I wanted to share my journey, hear from others and discuss about my chick integration to the flock.
I have followed different ideas behind articles like this one: short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder

The whole raising set up:

From week 1 to week 3 chicks were staying inside the house and regularly going on the grass for a whole or half a day, given the temperatures outside were warm and favourable.
I have set up an outside brooder/coop next to the rest of the flock set up (my flock is entirely free range). I used a rabbit run fencing to create the separation and i bought a budget second hand dog house that i intend to attach to the similar looking coop with nesting boxes. Since the chicks are such flyers, i also closed the upper surrounding with some net, to prevent that they fly over and not able to get back.

At 3-3.5 weeks, I transferred the chicks to their own no touch but see run (pictured) to stay during the day and bring in at night.

At nearly 4 weeks I transferred and attached mama style heater to the outside coop and the chicks had their first night in the coop. They have been doing well, the last couple of nights the temps fell even to 45 f (8c), while during the day its between 60 - 70 f (18-21 c).

In two days the chicks are on average becoming 5 weeks - the brown one born on tuesday. the white one (biggest) on wednesday and the black one (smallest) on thursday. The hatching was a rescue hatch that you can follow in this thread.

The next steps are to open the enclosure - at the dark blue gate there is a small door that i want to fit with a board to make a chick sized panic entrance. I'm not sure how this will work as the rest of the flock is free range and if they go out of the run area completely it loses its purpose i guess. Im still reflecting in my head if i should keep my flock in the run for a day or two or not (to let them interact more), because each time i've done that they were extremely unhappy and one of them always somehow escapes ... :D

I intend to keep mama hen until they are 6 weeks since i am a bit more worried for the smallest one. I would like to already open up the coop to let them run around, but my hold backs are: my cat and combination of the smaller black chick... Any comments/ encouragements here are welcome :)

The chick coop/brooder set up (mama hen heater inside):
IMG_8533.JPG

The entire coop positioning:
IMG_5819.JPG

The chicks:
IMG_8721.JPG

So if you are interested in the story, keep tuned, give feedback and i will keep updating you with the rest of the days and integration!

Great explanation with pics! 💕
I would rather be safe than sorry and keep the chicks in the small run until they are about 10 weeks. And cover the run with cat netting (extra poles to walk in?)

If you let them free range with the other chickens, do it supervised for a couple of weeks/until they are grown up. Just to be sure.

Last edited:
Oh cool, I'd like to see how this goes with free ranging adults. As my flock mostly stays in their run, I have no way of testing how easy/hard it is to integrate chicks into a free range flock, so it'll be interesting for me to see what works in a set up like yours.

Chicks already 5 weeks old. I begin to suspect that the white one is a roo behaviourally but also comb and wattle development is much faster compared to the brown one who is the oldest.
92051DC9-753F-4C8E-99CF-73840410364F.jpeg

As everyday, today I went to feed chicks some of the dried worm treats. The rest of the flock always appear to get a treat too so I use it as bonding and feed them next to each other with the fence separation.
Today it all went wrong...
The rooster attacked one of the chicks through the fence while eating the worms and one peck has opened up a massive wound on a head 😬...
30729990-B6E5-46E5-A99B-CAB164428429.jpeg

I treated it immediately with peroxide flush and applied pressure to stop the bleeding which continued for a while. Then did an iodine bath flush and kept her in the house for now. This picture shows the wound a few hours after the incident. If I can cover the redness visibility of the wound I will let her go back with her sisters/brothers since separation stresses them out andI don't want to have reintroduction problems.

Ouch! :( Glad you got to it ASAP. Surprised the rooster would reach in to attack... generally I'd consider if very safe to have adults next to chicks with fencing in the way.

Might need to put something with smaller holes like lightweight bird netting, across the lower part of the fence, to prevent any reachthroughs.

At 5 and a half weeks old I removed the mama heating system since the lows at night were within acceptable temperatures. From 6 weeks I began to help them roost for the night.

I continued feeding the flock together 1 to 2 times a day even since the attack to make sure they see and interact with each other. I did this under intense supervision to avoid any further incidents.

When the baby flock turned 6 weeks I opened the gate of the brooder area making it big enough to pass for the chicks but not the adults. With very close monitoring and the eyes especially on the rooster I let them interact 1-2 times a day up to 30 minutes while feeding them dried worms and some grains or other treats. Some there hens were trying to be mean to the chicks by chasing them of from food which is normal of course. With my presence it was quickly understood that the chasing will not be tolerated.
The chicks were very eager to get out and explore the rest of the coop despite the adults which is jus a bit bigger than their enclosed division. While doing that, I closed the exit so all the chickens (big and small) stay within the fencing. Brave little guys!
09E25972-3A73-416E-B949-920FFC2DE08F.jpeg

Although some of the hens are still slightly mean to the chicks, by now they know that I'm the protector and the babies always gather at my feet when they feel that they are threatened by the adults.

On day 5 of doing so I left the fencing open and while keeping a constant eye on the Chicks I let them further explore. I must say the adults were not so bothered to attack the chicks, they are rather more interested to defend their food and they get extremely annoyed by being closed off and their only goal becomes to find a way out rather than chase the chicks. Since the garden is so big, I figured that this is the best approach since this way nobody will fight for anything.
So day 5 - brief 30 min to an hour graze of the baby chicks in the garden. The freshly cut grass was so inviting to everybody that they were just too busy! The chicks could taste the freedom without any interference.
952DEB09-5254-47F7-BD13-550263CAEA73.jpeg

Day 6 - I came to feed and let the chicks out again. The adults immediately showed up for their share of treats. The chicks were extremely eager to get out of their enclosure and with the fencing being all open and me just on the side for observation everybody quickly wandered off to the garden. The adults clearly had a baffled expression on their beaks 🤣😂😄. Soon enough they just wandered of too into their favourite spots, while the chicks stayed together on their own without going off too far from the brooder area, but far enough to enjoy it all. Within an hour or so they came back themselves to the enclosure. I closed it for now but in a few hours once I can observe I plan to open it up again. This way I will build up their time on their own.

The chicks at 6 and a half weeks are very close to being completely free ranging.

Thanks for the update 👍
How did it go the chick with the head injury?

I wouldn't let chicks free ranging. My garden is too dangerous with hunting cats, jays, magpies and even bigger mean birds. And an occasional dog. I only did that supervised 1 hour before bedtime so I had no trouble catching them.

My "teenage" birds (got them May 1) still live in their own coop and run, which is connected to the big hen run. However, they all go out together for a couple of hours most evenings and there has been no issue. Now that a couple of the Welsummers appear almost ready to begin to lay, Henry the rooster is getting excited....

Back
Top Bottom