Chick is dying. Need any advice please.

NewChickenDadUSA

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
Hello Everyone,

With heavy heart, I am worried that this chick will pass tonight. Over the last two day, the chick's health has been deteriorating quickly.
One of the picture (Picture 9) shows the chick with its navel up. The navel is still somewhat covered in feathers, but now the navel situation has gotten worse (Picture 14). I am not sure what to do now. The other 4 chicks are really healthy but this one is looking very lethargic. She does not move that much. I been slowly feeding her some Save-A-Chick Electrolytes and the Probiotic mixture with water. I tried to give her some egg yolk but she is so weak now to the point she cannot consume egg yolk.

I am planning to stay up and feed her the electrolytes and probiotic mixture every 30 minutes. At least couple drops. Do you guys think this is a good idea? I looked online and it seems like the navel swelling is a sign of an infection from mushy chick disease (omphalitis?). She seems to be still fighting and trying to stand up when she can.

Also she shakes her head after every drop of the mixture. Is this normal?

Thank you BYC for the help so far with my questions. I couldn't have saved the other chick without you guys. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• chick14.jpg
    chick14.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 13
  • chick13.jpg
    chick13.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 9
  • chick12.jpg
    chick12.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 9
  • chick11.jpg
    chick11.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 9
  • chick10.jpg
    chick10.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 9
  • chick9.jpg
    chick9.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 9
Some more background. The chick is 4 days old and has been pretty active before. Her navel was a bit exposed but not to this extent.

I have been putting triple antibiotics on her navel regions.

Back
Top Bottom