HELP!! Leaking navel!

Plant_Hoarder

Chirping
May 2, 2022
Hello, I have a chick about a week old and I am treating his crooked leg. He won't eat pellets so I've been feeding him egg yolk mixed with water. He's real talkative and eats the mixture own his own, so I thought he was getting better. Well, when I came to visit him he had a real thick yolk looking substance stuck on him and its leaking from his navel! Is this treatable? Or should I euthanize this poor chick

Are you sure you are seeing something leak from his navel? I would gently clean him up then check again.

If a substance is indeed leaking from his navel, that doesn't sound good.

However, something dried up and stuck to his navel is normal, give it time and it will fall off.

You can post pictures on here and folks more knowledgeable than me can help. Does the chick seem in pain or is it acting normally?

Are you sure you are seeing something leak from his navel? I would gently clean him up then check again.

If a substance is indeed leaking from his navel, that doesn't sound good.

However, something dried up and stuck to his navel is normal, give it time and it will fall off.

You can post pictures on here and folks more knowledgeable than me can help. Does the chick seem in pain or is it acting normally?
Hello thank you for the reply! Sadly we euthanized him because it was indeed his navel. (I cleaned it to be sure and it leaked infront of me) within minutes it swelled horribly and began to bleed, which led to him to continuously chirp out of what I assume was pain : (

Hello thank you for the reply! Sadly we euthanized him because it was indeed his navel. (I cleaned it to be sure and it leaked infront of me) within minutes it swelled horribly and began to bleed, which led to him to continuously chirp out of what I assume was pain : (
Then you definitely did the right thing! So sorry you and your chick had that experience. Chicks that don't make it for whatever reason are one of the difficult parts of chicken keeping. I too would have interpreted that chirping as being in pain, poor thing. If they show pain, it's excruciating for them, because they hide being in pain as long as possible to keep their place in the flock (it's the nature of chickens).

Sounds like something was internally wrong or it had an infection of some type. The naval is supposed to close about 20 minutes after hatch or sooner. In your case, there's really not much you can do to help a chick that small with that bad of an infection. A quick end was the best option.

Usually folks respond a lot sooner on this site to folks' questions, but occasionally one slips past the group for a bit. Sorry for the delayed response, it's not typical.

Back
Top Bottom