Chick is limping and leg joint is swollen??? anyone!

Ol'FashionHen

Songster
11 Years
Oct 24, 2008
The South
My 1.5 week old SLW chick is limping and her joint in her leg is swollen. All chicks are inside in tub, started their bedding with newspaper and paper towels and just put some pine shavings in with them 2 nights ago. When I first got her from MPC her 'lil' wings stuck out a bit, but figureed they did because her wings were small, and they would grow bigger and lay down and they did. But now the leg thing. I feed them medicated feed, and water with vitamins/electrolytes, I gave them a 1- day of Terimyicin recently because a few of their eyes was getting crusty and matting together so for precaution I gave them Terimyicin in water and ointment in eyes. Is her leg broke or infected, do I need to make her a chickie cast?
hit.gif
Someone please help!!!

Somebody?

Last edited:
Hi there, don't know if there is anything wrong with the leg because I can't see the chick in question. But as a starter precautionary method I would get some fresh wheatgrass juice and start dosing everyone with an eye dropper, A wee squirt down their throats every couple of hours will help to ward off any infections that might be lurking. I have a three week old chickie that was limping and weak in the legs (sitting on his haunches all the time) and I started him on the wheatgrass juice and now he is stronger on his legs and eating meat, fish, lettuce, bread and water. I don't give the medicated mash as I think they need real food so I use a coffee grinder and grind up corn which I give with water like a wet mash and I started them off on little bits of tinned red tuna meat as well (for protein) and fresh water all the time. I didn't do the electolytes thing at all, just the wheatgrass juice and it worked really well. My chicks don't have crusty eyes or anything like that which I think is down to the fact that they nutrition is good. You can get the juice from any juice bar or health food shop. One shot will last about three days in the fridge at which time you should throw it out and start again. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom