Chick jumping on hen's back???

celia501

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 7, 2014
Massachusetts
I have these 5 little chicks who are about 3 weeks old. I also have this 3 year old hen, Viper. The other day when I took the chicks out to see Viper one of them kept jumping on Viper's back repeatedly. Does this mean anything??

Chicks that are brooded by a hen do that all the time. Helps warm them up. Interesting that these chicks that sound like you raised them are doing it. Natural instincts are powerful.

I have 5 chicks brooded by a hen. They are always chilling on moms back! Very normal, and fun to watch. Mom taught babies how to roost two nights ago. She had 1 chick between her feet, 2 chicks under her wings, and one on her back. The chicks are about 5 weeks old now. Haha

Viper is not brooding them though. Maybe they think she could be their mother?

I was just worried that the chicks wouldn't accept Viper or maybe the chick could be a rooster.

Thank you, guys!

Viper is a very sweet and social hen. She's been really lonely since my other hen died; she's been latching onto me, she follows me everywhere, and she yells for me to come out and spend time with her even if I go inside for 5 minutes.

Love the name Viper!! It evokes an image of her catching flies and moths with viper speed!
I'm glad she is liking to have other chickens even if they are babies! I was worried my Penny would be too lonely when her partner goes to rooster freezer camp, so I got another batch of littles. Penny only likes to chase them

Watch and see if that chick is grabbing and holding onto feathers and making a sitting and shaking motion. That's a BOY with an overly large ego! If they're just standing on her back it means nothing just real comfortable with her.

Back
Top Bottom