Chick keeps pooping everywhere! Help! AND PLEASE HURRY!!!

NathanielJimenez816

In the Brooder
May 20, 2021
So, I just got chicks from my friend Patrick Niemeyer on May 20, 2021, and they were all doing really well until I realized my chick got dry and watery poop all over her brooder. Since I was new to raising chicks, I couldn't do anything about it. I put her back in the brooder and she stood there for a while. Eventually she started acting normal, eating, drinking and pooping. Next thing I knew, the chick pooped all over my yard, and all over my kitchen. I tried to clean it up but the brooder was full of poop all over, I know my chick has diarrhea. How can I clean up my baby chick's own poop? Please help! Thanks. AND PLEASE HURRY!!! I'M VERY OVERLOADED WITH ANXIETY!!! 😰

Last edited:
Can you just use a paper towel to spot clean? My brooder is a big plastic storage bin and when it needs cleaning, I put the chicks in a pet carrier then drag the bin outside, squirt in some dish soap, add about 2 inches of water, let it soak for a few minutes, scrub it quickly, then rinse and dry. As long as you keep on it, it shouldn’t get too bad.

Chicks poo where ever chicks go. They do not have pody spots like some animals. There are many approaches to handeling the mess. Many scoop it out daily. Others like my self deep litter or cover it with news paper, shaving, straw or hay. Then deep clean when brooding is finished and start the process again in the coop.

Using paper towels as bedding makes it easier to clean.
But when I had wood shavings or straw, I would pick out the clumps of poop with my finger and remove the bedding once a week with a hand broom and dust pan.

Sometimes when I couldn't clean it from being busy all day, I would sprinkle some PDZ deodorizer in the brooder.

Chickens poop everywhere. It goes in one end and out the other. Put a layer of pine shavings in your brooder and clean it when it gets dirty and put in more clean shavings. Chicks should not be kept on puppy pee pads or paper towels and just walking around on their own poop. Shavings absorb the moisture and get stirred around so they have a clean surface for their feet.

"Chick keeps pooping everywhere", haha! You shouldn't worry, it's normal. Everyone poops sometimes. When I used to have a brooder, I would use paper towels or wood shavings (good for soaking up moisture) and then when it was all dirty I would move the chicks and throw it all into a garbage bag and fill the carboard box again. I did this every week or so.

Hi I put on some marigold washing up gloves when I poop pick. It helps to cover poop with sand to clump it together makes it easyer to pick up :)

Back
Top Bottom