chickenmom22

Songster
Mar 12, 2018
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

This is about a cochin chick, about three or four weeks old. This chick is MUCH lighter and thinner than the other chicks it's age. It's a big difference. This chick looks less than 1/2 the size of the other chicks now when they used to be the same size when I first bought them.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

99% of the time this chick just stands still with it's eyes closed. It only perks up when I put food out, then it comes running. And that is literally the only time it ever moves.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

I noticed right away that this chick was sleeping a lot more than the others, but at first it was still active during the day and interacting with the other chicks so I thought it was just tired.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No. The others seem completely normal and healthy.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Nothing that I know of.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

It's on Purina medicated chick feed, and it eats a normal amount of food, and also drinks quite a bit.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

It looks normal to me.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

I have tried it Save-a-chick electrolytes/vitamins, Save-a-chick probiotics, and apple cider vineger added to the water. There has been no change so far. I am planning to buy a chicken dewormer.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I would prefer to treat it myself if possible.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

sickchick.jpg

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Pine shavings in a large plastic bin, with a heat lamp.

Any help or advice is very appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Welcome to BYC,We are happy to answer any questions you may have:):welcome
Unfortunately,Im not experienced in this area,but i sure hope someone else on here can help you.

Today I got a picture of the extreme size difference, the chick with the mystery illness is the one in the middle. I will be buying the chicken de-wormer tomorrow and I will update if there is any change.

unnamed (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom