Chick Medicines

Disheygirl

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
I’m a new chick owner - my three are now 5.5 weeks old, and I have four more babies coming in May. I have been lurking on the threads and reading about everything that can go wrong, and then buying medicines that people suggest. My animals are my pets, and I will take chicks or chickens to the vet if something goes really wrong, but I wanted to see if there is anything else I need to treat at home. We have rabbits too, so I have a lot of topical meds, but if there’s one that’s great for chickens, please share.

Nutradrench (sp)
VetRx
Baytril
Amoxicillin
Electrolytes
Mineral Oil
Coconut Oil

-and-

Probiotics (which they’re on via their water) I’ve read mixed opinions about Braggs ACV - thoughts on that Compared to probiotics?

Anything else? Parasite prevention (both internally and externally)? We’ll eat their eggs so prevention would need to be egg-friendly.

Thanks!!

Corrid for coccidiosis
Vet wrap, trauma pads, and an antibiotic ointment (without pain relief) for any injuries.
I'm not sure I'd keep anything on hand for worms or parasites other than Corrid, because different parasites are treated by different meds, but Coccidiosis is highly deadly in a short period of time, so best to keep that on hand at least.

Corrid for coccidiosis
Vet wrap, trauma pads, and an antibiotic ointment (without pain relief) for any injuries.
I'm not sure I'd keep anything on hand for worms or parasites other than Corrid, because different parasites are treated by different meds, but Coccidiosis is highly deadly in a short period of time, so best to keep that on hand at least.
THANK YOU!!
Side question - they’re on medicated starter, and have been inside with me in a soft-sided playpen since I got them. At some point, they’ll be big enough to go to their coop (outside, obviously). Do I keep them on a medicated feed when they graduate from starter or is that really just for baby chicks? Thanks!,

THANK YOU!!
Side question - they’re on medicated starter, and have been inside with me in a soft-sided playpen since I got them. At some point, they’ll be big enough to go to their coop (outside, obviously). Do I keep them on a medicated feed when they graduate from starter or is that really just for baby chicks? Thanks!,
I believe the general consensus is to feed for eight weeks on medicated chick feed then switch to non-medicated grower feed. You should not feed them medicated chick feed if they were vaccinated against coccidiosis. In general, the risk for coccidiosis is much higher in larger brooders (like 50+ chicks) or if your flock has a history of coccidiosis.

Personally, I've reared 5 batches of chicks, the largest were 20 Cornish cross, and I've never used medicated feed nor had an outbreak of coccidiosis, but I do keep Corrid on hand.

.. -and-

Probiotics (which they’re on via their water) I’ve read mixed opinions about Braggs ACV - thoughts on that Compared to probiotics?

I have some Braggs ACV from before I knew I am getting chicks. I got a packet of dried probiotics from the feed store for the chicks.

I know ACV has probiotics but I think you have to ferment it yourself to benefit much from them. I usually read it is because it still has the mother in it. Otherwise, the mother has usually been filtered out and then what is left has been pasteurized which kills the microbes and that defeats the purpose of taking them as probiotics. I do think there are other purposes to taking ACV that are still beneficial after it is pasteurized.

The Braggs is supposed to be better than other apple cider vinegar because it has the mother in it. There may be some benefits to having the mother still in it but probiotics aren't among them because Braggs has been pasteurized too.

I don't know about the rest of your questions.

Anything else? Parasite prevention (both internally and externally)? We’ll eat their eggs so prevention would need to be egg-friendly.
Don't think there's really any preventative treatments... you treat if there's an issue. A dust bath would be the closest thing to a preventative treatment for external pests.

Permethrin would be the general recommended treatment for mites and lice, so it wouldn't hurt to have some on hand.

For wormers, it depends on the type of worm you're treating. Most worming courses do have an egg withdrawal recommendation though.

Back
Top Bottom