Chick no. 3 transitioned . . .

How is the chicks doing?

Mine met a horrible end, so I need some good news.
Awwww FBM, I am SO sorry to read that. :hugs

The babies are doing well (save for the fact that their mamma was hard headed and did not get, buy, create their coop FIRST). Brood 1 is hanging in there. At this rate they'll get out the brooder when they are 65 and retired. :fl Really, what happened was ME then hubby contracted COVID. His came upon him the day after my diagnosis (last Wed). That stopped him in his tracks. I return to work on Tuesday (thank gawd). So, I am making sure to keep them as comfy as I can think to. I put a dust bath in there with them the other day.

The second brooder group is doing swell. No more, ahem, chicks "transitioning" if ya KWIM. The 17 are hanging out, kicking it, growing up. I put a lil three level perch thingy in with them. Oh, I gave 'em some lettuce yesterday and today too.

You KNOW I'll post pics as soon as they go out. I'll bet they are going to Love IT. Especially brooder group 1, they are jumping up in the brooder and when I go to open it they peck at my hands. They want out!!!

Will you be replacing very soon or do you need some time?

How is the chicks doing?
This might cheer ya up . . . fresh off the cell phone camera press. Two on left are brood 1 they are now seven weeks old. The second two photos are brood 2, the chickie chickies, 13 days old!

Attachments

• 20220814_124519.jpg
    20220814_124519.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220814_124523.jpg
    20220814_124523.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220814_124546.jpg
    20220814_124546.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220814_124553.jpg
    20220814_124553.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220814_124508.jpg
    20220814_124508.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 2
Awwww FBM, I am SO sorry to read that. :hugs

The babies are doing well (save for the fact that their mamma was hard headed and did not get, buy, create their coop FIRST). Brood 1 is hanging in there. At this rate they'll get out the brooder when they are 65 and retired. :fl Really, what happened was ME then hubby contracted COVID. His came upon him the day after my diagnosis (last Wed). That stopped him in his tracks. I return to work on Tuesday (thank gawd). So, I am making sure to keep them as comfy as I can think to. I put a dust bath in there with them the other day.

The second brooder group is doing swell. No more, ahem, chicks "transitioning" if ya KWIM. The 17 are hanging out, kicking it, growing up. I put a lil three level perch thingy in with them. Oh, I gave 'em some lettuce yesterday and today too.

You KNOW I'll post pics as soon as they go out. I'll bet they are going to Love IT. Especially brooder group 1, they are jumping up in the brooder and when I go to open it they peck at my hands. They want out!!!

Will you be replacing very soon or do you need some time?
I remember my first group flying out of the brooder. I had to put chicken wire on top and had to secure it down cause any little opening they would get out lol!

I’m sorry you all got Covid. How bad was it? I believe we all had Covid once, my husband test positive and most of us had something going on one right after another but it was all different. We all had the vaccine so I know that helped.

I can’t wait to see your coop! I will be looking forward to the pictures!

So it wasn’t just our chicks we lost, it was all 6 of them and 12 ducks. It was horrific, and it makes it worse because it was our dog, in our home. So, as controversial as it was on another thread with someone else, we did take her to the pound. She had taste of blood (there was blood everywhere) and knowing this alone and WHAT she did, I couldn’t risk her getting any more of our animals or neighbor’s animals. And there are a few that have chickens themselves. They would have shot her, and she has been escaping her outside kennel. We still have our Rottweiler as she was still inside her kennel when we came home to it. Not only that but I have had her around them and she just likes watching them. Not that we won’t take precautions, because we have been and will continue. I am heartbroken in so many ways. So please don’t think I made the choice to give up my dog lightly. I just think that she needs to be with another family. And since the pound knows what she did, they will be able to find a home where she can’t do this.

We have continued to work on the duck house and run. Even though we don’t have any to put in there. We will get more of both, but we need some time. We are thinking we might try chicks in the spring and try to integrate them then. The older ones didn’t mind the littles we had, but also just stayed away from them. I’m hoping it will go smoothly in the spring. I don’t know that I will have any go broody by then but if I notice one or so being broody, I will order some babies and stick them in their under her.

As far as the ducks go, we are going to revisit that once the duck house and coop are done. We were so close to it being done. Now it’s really just a matter of our hearts. We are trying to keep busy and that is one thing to help us.

My kids seen these horrors and seen way more than they should. It’s my job to protect my kids from some of these things. It’s one thing to see a chick or duck or any animal die naturally. It’s another when it’s because of a pet and what they seen said pet doing to the ducks when they walked in. I have 2 that never want to eat meat again, my husband and I are having a hard time eating. My oldest has Down Syndrome and just understand that the dog did bad (THANK GOD SHE DIDNT SEE IT!), then the 2nd youngest Was crying uncontrollably for hours. And then the youngest is too young to understand any of it, and the 3rd youngest didn’t see anything and is grieving in her own way.

Sorry I went on and on, but the one thread I felt like I should have explained a lot more about my decision to rehome my dog. I just wanted to lay out everything I could think of.

I’m sorry you all got Covid. How bad was it?
Well, I'll tell you what . . . last Sun - Wed I thought I had a cold. Only went to get tested after my spiritual Mom and others kept mentioning testing. :idunno On Tues eve I tried an at home kit. Knew I botched it up, then surely when test was invalid so made appointment for next morning and paid $25 for a dang test. They said "positive". I was coughing, sneezing, sore throat mostly. Full of mucus.

Now (Sunday); I cough a lot, still producing a lil mucus. I am back to work on Tueday though. Phew, I need the money. Shoot I see two more coops on the horizon. I'll just show up with mask, paper towels, some sort of spray and personal hand sanitizer. I am a scan clerk (the one who puts the prices on the shelves, checks the vendors/merch in) so for most part I am in the aisle's alone; i.e., no reason to be closer than 6 feet to NOBODY. Yay! The lil office, will be just me, so I'll spray and wipe down for when the lady who trains me returns (her wedding was Saturday) so you know I did not show up to work last week. No way was I going to be responsible for her getting sick. She's on vacay now though. Overall, it was not like I thought it would be. The media had me thinking if I ever got it I'd be dead (hope I'm not speaking too soon). especially with all the convo about co-morbidity. Heck, I'm black, fat, hypertensive, shall I go on!!!???? :gig Thanks for asking. :love

Well, I'll tell you what . . . last Sun - Wed I thought I had a cold. Only went to get tested after my spiritual Mom and others kept mentioning testing. :idunno On Tues eve I tried an at home kit. Knew I botched it up, then surely when test was invalid so made appointment for next morning and paid $25 for a dang test. They said "positive". I was coughing, sneezing, sore throat mostly. Full of mucus.

Now (Sunday); I cough a lot, still producing a lil mucus. I am back to work on Tueday though. Phew, I need the money. Shoot I see two more coops on the horizon. I'll just show up with mask, paper towels, some sort of spray and personal hand sanitizer. I am a scan clerk (the one who puts the prices on the shelves, checks the vendors/merch in) so for most part I am in the aisle's alone; i.e., no reason to be closer than 6 feet to NOBODY. Yay! The lil office, will be just me, so I'll spray and wipe down for when the lady who trains me returns (her wedding was Saturday) so you know I did not show up to work last week. No way was I going to be responsible for her getting sick. She's on vacay now though. Overall, it was not like I thought it would be. The media had me thinking if I ever got it I'd be dead (hope I'm not speaking too soon). especially with all the convo about co-morbidity. Heck, I'm black, fat, hypertensive, shall I go on!!!???? :gig Thanks for asking. :love
I’m glad that is all you have from it! It took my husband forever to get better. But he is a smoker too so I’m sure that didn’t help. I think Covid is kind of like the flu. For some ppl it is worse for others and it just depends on the individual. And a lot of ppl I noticed when Covid came out, forgot that the flu killed ppl too. It still does. But I do understand that they aren’t actually the same.

I would have felt horrible if I got her sick! So I for sure don’t blame you!

@FBMcrazy8 , oh my goodness. Yes, take your time in grieving your chicks, duck AND poochie.

My grandson was a trisomy 21 baby. Two heart surgeries before age of 2.5. He did not make it ultimately. He would have been 16 by now and probably 6' tall. He was a tallll baby. My daughter was 19 at the time, and her hubby not too much older. They took excellent care of that baby like champs. I never, ever, not once heard her say "Why me" or any such sentiments. You parents of downs babies are special in God's eyes and mine too.

Digressing, you seemed to have stepped up and did the big girl pantie thing where all were concerned, FBM! 🥰

This might cheer ya up . . . fresh off the cell phone camera press. Two on left are brood 1 they are now seven weeks old. The second two photos are brood 2, the chickie chickies, 13 days old!
Goodness they are cute and some of them are getting big!
I have been lurking around following your progress but I don't think I had fully got in my head how many babies you were getting.
I have a tiny flock and they keep me on my toes. Enjoy!

Goodness they are cute and some of them are getting big!
I have been lurking around following your progress but I don't think I had fully got in my head how many babies you were getting.
I have a tiny flock and they keep me on my toes. Enjoy!
Awww thinks, @RoyalChick Yeah, so there are 8 from brood 1 and 17 in the other = 25. That means I will have five spots available. Hopefully come spring, after more learning I can fill those slots. Can you say silkie, cream legbar (or something like that; duh).

Back
Top Bottom