Chick noise, when does it stop?

Where does she go at night, or does she try to roost in the run?

If you read the article you'll see I don't give the chicks a choice, their brooder is closed up and they get a cage or a sectioned off area inside the coop at night, until they follow the adults in.

Where does she go at night, or does she try to roost in the run?

If you read the article you'll see I don't give the chicks a choice, their brooder is closed up and they get a cage or a sectioned off area inside the coop at night, until they follow the adults in.
She goes back into the see no touch in the coop, i’m scared they’ll kill her during the night or soemthing

If she's been in the run/yard with them for 6 weeks now she should probably be ok, as long as you have plenty of roost space so she doesn't have to roost right up against an adult. As a precaution I also open up the coop early the first week or so after chicks move into the coop, in case they need to escape the adults.

If she's been in the run/yard with them for 6 weeks now she should probably be ok, as long as you have plenty of roost space so she doesn't have to roost right up against an adult. As a precaution I also open up the coop early the first week or so after chicks move into the coop, in case they need to escape the adults.
Coop door into the run is always open so she can go in if she wants but she won’t. They have about 5 feet of roost space too

Coop door into the run is always open so she can go in if she wants but she won’t. They have about 5 feet of roost space too
Hence why I cage the chicks inside the coop, they don't get a choice once I kick them out of the brooder. From there, it's up to them to decide when they want to voluntarily go into the coop at night - if they don't go in, they get manually picked up and caged each night until they do.

Hence why I cage the chicks inside the coop, they don't get a choice once I kick them out of the brooder. From there, it's up to them to decide when they want to voluntarily go into the coop at night - if they don't go in, they get manually picked up and caged each night until they do.
I’ve been just picking her up and putting her back into her see no touch because she doesn’t go into the coop. Should i try to put her on the roost at night when the big girls go in?

I’ve been just picking her up and putting her back into her see no touch because she doesn’t go into the coop. Should i try to put her on the roost at night when the big girls go in?
Is she currently roosting at night, do you know?

If she is you could try putting her on the roost but I'd hang around to see how bad the squabbling gets... if it's dark it shouldn't be too bad, but impossible to know until she's on there.

If you're not sure if she knows to roost I would try simply putting her in the coop instead, and let her opt to sleep on the floor.

Is she currently roosting at night, do you know?

If she is you could try putting her on the roost but I'd hang around to see how bad the squabbling gets... if it's dark it shouldn't be too bad, but impossible to know until she's on there.

If you're not sure if she knows to roost I would try simply putting her in the coop instead, and let her opt to sleep on the floor.
If she’s in the coop by herself she will jump up onto the roost. And we do have a small roost in the see no touch that i think she roosts on.

Back
Top Bottom