Chick not doing good! What more can I do?? *chick has Passed on*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Critter Crazy, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I got my Order of chicks from Ideal yesterday, I have already lost 6 chicks, and It seems I am on the way to losing another. This chick is always sleeping. I have removed it from the large brooder, and placed it in a smaller one, so it dosent get trampled. I have been feeding the poor baby by hand some soaked chick starter, and also some sugar water. Is there anything else i can do?? [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I had one chick that was 10 hours old and didn't get up. We felt it wasn't going to make it. My daughter gave it a drop of poly-visol infant vitamins every hour for five hours before it tried to stand. Today it is doing just fine. It might be worth a try, but only use as a last resort. My prayers are with you. [​IMG]

3. Crazy4GameCocks

Crazy4GameCocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I am loosing my chicks also I started with 10 and now only got 3 and I feel like im about to loose another one too:thun

4. Critter Crazy

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:Thanks for the tip.

5. Critter Crazy

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:Awwwww....I am so sorry. I had a batch of 20, am down to 14, and am hoping this one dosent make thirteen![​IMG]

6. cooliseo

cooliseo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Rainbow
    Well I have nothing to say because I know nothing. I wish you luck though!~[​IMG]

7. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    A little Poly-Vi-Sol and scrambled eggs works miracles. I feed it to all my hatched and purchased day olds. I don't trust commercial chick feed. I feed it to them and they eat it like it's going out of style but I supplement all of my itty bitties diet with vitamins for first few days and scrambled egg for first few weeks.

8. Critter Crazy

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:Actual scrambled eggs?? Or mashed Hardboiled eggs?? or does it matter??

9. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Scrambled egg or hardboiled yolks. If you have any canned corn, the juice is good for them, too. I keep hearing good things about the Poly Visol children's vitamins. I must remember to add that to my grocery list. Best wishes. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  10. Critter Crazy

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Thanks!! Gotta go cook some eggs! poly Visol definitely sounds like something that must be kept handy! Thanks for the help all! Hopefully I can save this baby!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by