Chick not growing?

Amsasa

In the Brooder
Nov 8, 2018
My clutch of 4 eggs hatched around 5 days ago, and I have to say it wasn't the best of batches the chicks came out with a lot of difficulty especially one little one, which my mom INSISTED on helping, basically she helped him hatch 100%. And we noticed from the get go that he's a runt.hes about half the size of the other chicks and he was super weak.
So we left him in the incubator for another day and he seemed to have a bit more strength. After moving him into the brooder with the others (we did purchase a few more chicks as our ENTIRE flock of chickens was massicared by dogs) i crushed a hard boiled egg and put it in for them, over the next few days he did seem to get his strength even more, he was running around eating and drinking. I did keep a close eye on him and he seemed fine. Although today when I checked on him he looked lethargic and was just sleeping I picked him up and he seemed super weak and a bit cold? He even had a pasty vent, I cleaned him up and placed him back in the incubator after drying him. Any suggestions on helping him recover/ grow? Thanks in advance :)

He's deteriorating by the minute I really don't want to lose him, he stayed strong for 5 days and I hope he makes it ☹️

Really isn't much you can do.
The ones that have to be assisted often just don't make it.

Is he fluffed up? Is he under a heat lamp?
How many days since he hatched? Can you dip his beak a bit to make sure he gets water?

If not already, separate him from the others, if you can. Don't want them trampling him.

Hope he makes it. Good job so far. :hugs

Really isn't much you can do.
The ones that have to be assisted often just don't make it.

Is he fluffed up? Is he under a heat lamp?
How many days since he hatched? Can you dip his beak a bit to make sure he gets water?

If not already, separate him from the others, if you can. Don't want them trampling him.

Hope he makes it. Good job so far. :hugs
He is fluffed up but he can barely even stand up now :(, he's in the incubator right now where it's warm and away from the others, its been around five days since he hatched and I don't want to risk him choking on water if I dip his beak in, although I'll try. Thanks :'(

This might be just a case of Failure to Thrive or caused by MG infection. Usually embryos with MG infection will be much smaller, not hatch or if hatched they die within a few days afterwards.

Sadly, there is not much one can do to help but put them out of their misery.

This might be just a case of Failure to Thrive or caused by MG infection. Usually embryos with MG infection will be much smaller, not hatch or if hatched they die within a few days afterwards.

Sadly, there is not much one can do to help but put them out of their misery.
Right, thanks for the advice he passed away a couple minutes ago :( 💔, rip

Back
Top Bottom