Chick not sleeping, flying against box

ChickenSoup82

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 13, 2008
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Black sex link, 6 days
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Eats, drinks water, won't sleep, going towards edge of box, peeping shrilly for five hours on and off, Flys against side of box like it wants to get out, feathers around neck matted.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
From about 4pm-now 11:20
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
One dead this morning, feathers were matted around head and neck like it was dunked in water, red swollen area towards back
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I have no idea, I have twenty other chicks that I got that are four weeks old, so I am not completely incompetent, but my little girl's friend brought these two chicks over from some feed store on friday and they were both doing fine eating and drinking, I put them in a cardboard box next to my brooder, I couldn't put them in there with the big kids they would get trampled, now I am super glad I didn't try it because they must be sick or something.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Plain tapwater, and naturwise chick starter
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
tried adjusting temperature it seems to be happier with a cooler temperature but the thermometer says 80 degrees when I raise the heat bulb and 90 degrees when I lower it and it seems to like the 80 degree temps.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. N/A
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Pine shavings

I didn't actually say it but this is one lone chick in a box it can hear the other chicks but can't see or interact with them.

Well what do I do? Throw it in with the big ones? They are mostly asleep so maybe it would work?

Well what if it is ill, I don't want to lose the ones I have been raising for four weeks over some chick I didn't even want.

you could try putting a mirror, or a small stuffed animal in with him so he will think there is a buddy in there with him untill you can find out if he is sick or not

I wouldn't put it with the other chicks, What i would do is get a stuffed animal, a little stuffed animal so that your little chick thinks it has a friend. If the little guy is sick or ill at least it can't get the others this way. I have tried it when I was hatching chicks and it works great, my chick actually cuddled underneath the stuff animal acting as though it was his mommy. It was great.... It's worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom