Chick not standing

spikennipper

Songster
10 Years
Jul 25, 2009
Kent, UK.
I have a 1 week old chick that has been unable to stand now for at least 3 days, I noticed a few days before it was unable to keep up with it's mum and siblings and always ended up in the bottom part of the run when they all went to roost up the ramp it would be at the bottom running around crying so I just placed it on the ramp and then it would go in the coop on Friday I noticed the chick was unable to walk anymore and was just in the coop crying sitting down so I have it inside now under a heat lamp with crumb and a dish of honey water it is eating and pooping fine but seems reluctant to drink much even when offered on a dropper and I have noticed crackly sounds when the chick breathes, the mother is inexperienced this being her first brood and only yesterday stood on one of her chicks whilst scratching in the gravel it squirmed and cried for a good few seconds before she even realised it was under her foot! so I'm not sure whether the chick is just injured or has a respiratory infection though I'm not sure if this would cause it to collapse on it's legs? I am worried that the longer it stays not moving it's legs the less chance it has, I try to do physio moving them about and it does have feeling in it's feet and they feel warm but just won't use them to stand just uses it's wings to shuffle about
sad.png

Last edited:
I would reccomend making a wet mash and trying to get the chick to eat some of it. This is the recipe I was given:

natural probiotic wet mash
2 tbp of dry crumbles
3 tbp of milk sweet, sour or buttermilk
1 tbsp of non flavored yogurt
2 tbsp of apple sauce
put it on top so the chicken can smell and see it
mix good and put the
vit E liquid as directed in the wet mash
and crumble the Vit B complex tablet in a tabsp and add to the wet mash
**BESURE AND MIX VIT'S VERY GOOD IN WET MASH***

Just keep offering the wet mash until it starts to get it's energy back.

hugs.gif
best wishes and I hope your little one improves!

Back
Top Bottom