Help with lethargic baby chick

JBonner04

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2023
We just had a broody hen hatch 9 chicks successfully, I went to take out the 2 remaining eggs 4 days later as Momma stopped sitting on them and found one of them hatched! It looked as though it didn't absorb all of the yolk but was chirping and squirming. We took it inside to put under a heat lamp as we noticed it was really weak and mom was dragging it around as well as the other babies.

Since the chick has been very lethargic, it chirps it squirms a s it's eyes do open, but doesn't stand. It almost looks like it's head is to heavy. It can move their wings and legs but still when I help it stand the head is flopped BUT it can still move their head. I ended up giving it a slurry of electrolights and raw egg yolk and it seemed to help, it perked up a lot.

I'm not expecting much, but figured if it's chirping and moving Id give it a fighting chance...but does anyone have any idea what's going on? I've never had a chick like this before... Any advice??

I added pictures to give some idea of what it looks like and is doing..

Attachments

• IMG_20230730_075246674.jpg
    IMG_20230730_075246674.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20230730_074344466.jpg
    IMG_20230730_074344466.jpg
    699.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230729_212017776.jpg
    IMG_20230729_212017776.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230729_212212644.jpg
    IMG_20230729_212212644.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 15
I’m sorry I don’t have much advice but wanted to reply because I could see you’d posted twice with no reply. Hopefully this may attract more replies. If it’s eating and drinking (or you are giving it food directly) and you are able to put care into it, then I suppose you could keep going and see if it strengthens up. I’ve never had a chick like this and to be honest I think I’d cull it, it really depend on how far you are willing to go to keep it alive. Does it seem to be in pain when it squirms?
Maybe keep feeding it the yolks for a few days and keep track of its progress. If it still can’t do much after a week, I don’t think it will ever have much of a life, so putting it down may be the best option after that.

I hope this somewhat helps, sorry I couldn’t help you more.

I’m sorry I don’t have much advice but wanted to reply because I could see you’d posted twice with no reply. Hopefully this may attract more replies. If it’s eating and drinking (or you are giving it food directly) and you are able to put care into it, then I suppose you could keep going and see if it strengthens up. I’ve never had a chick like this and to be honest I think I’d cull it, it really depend on how far you are willing to go to keep it alive. Does it seem to be in pain when it squirms?
Maybe keep feeding it the yolks for a few days and keep track of its progress. If it still can’t do much after a week, I don’t think it will ever have much of a life, so putting it down may be the best option after that.

I hope this somewhat helps, sorry I couldn’t help you more.
It has been showing some improvements since yesterday..it's able to hold it's head up now and put some sort of weight on its legs... Honestly it looks like a chick who just hatched and getting it's bearings in an incubator. It doesn't seem to be in any pain at all which is good because I would have just put it down if it was. I guess we will see how far this goes and keep up what we are doing! Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom