Chick panting?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by littlechicks02, Oct 5, 2015.

1. littlechicks02

littlechicks02 Out Of The Brooder

Hey, my chicks have been caught on camera lying on their side and sort of panting? They are 3week old hy-line chickens. I also have a video, put I don't know how to post it :/

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  2. littlechicks02

There waterer is full, but i dipped their beaks in and they drank, taking them out now for some fresh air, I think that was all they needed. :thumbsup:oops:

3. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Double-check the brooder temperature. For 3 week old chicks, it shouldn't be any warmer than 75 degrees F, and there should be cooler areas available so they can move to whatever temperature zone is most comfortable for them.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I agree, your brooder is either too hot or too small.

5. littlechicks02

Thank you! I will fix up the brooder right away. :highfive:

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    At this age, you can also turn the light off for several hours at a time. Chicks should not ever be panting. That is a sure sign that they are overheated. What are you using for a bulb? Inside? You could probably step down to a 40W bulb if it is inside, (check your temps) Their brooder should be big enough that the unheated end is what ever the surrounding temp outside the brooder is. Recommendation for next time: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by