Chick passed extremely watery blood after cleaning vent?

JK93

Chirping
Sep 12, 2022
I just picked up 5 silkie chicks from a breeder around 4 days ago and was told they're about a week old. The 3 smallest have pasty butt which I've been cleaning, but their vents since I got them have looked odd to me it's almost like the edges of their vents are raw and torn a bit. I cleaned one chick up today and when I put it back in the brooder it excreted a small amount of bloody water from it's vent. As far as I know the chicks are not vaccinated and I feed non medicated because I heard silkies need the vitamin that the medicated feed blocks.

Could this be a vent issue as the other chicks are behaving fine? Should I get Corid to put into the water for all the other chicks? What should I have on hand for the chicks outside of Corid that I can order now before its too late if that's what this is? How much is the dose I should I put in the water of the Corid? I've lost 2 silkie chicks so far so this is incredibly distressing for me that I now have a new issue on my hands.

Can you get pictures of the vents? And poop if you can.

Silkies are no different then other chickens, & will be fine with Corid(Thiamine Blocker), if used to treat Coccidiosis. I've had to use it for silkies in the past.

@Wyorp Rock , can you help with dosage?

So sorry you are having to deal with this:(. Since they are behaving fine, it could just be a vent issue, but if it were me, I would treat with Corid just in case. The Corid won't really hurt them and coccidiosis can kill fast.
The dosage is 2 tsp/gallon of water for 5-7 days. You need to make it fresh each day so for chicks I usually make up smaller batches using 1/2 tsp/4 cups water.

I forgot to add that if one does start feeling bad and/or has a lot of bloody poop, you can also give an extra direct dose of Corid with a syringe. The dosage is .1 ml/ pound of body weight, one time a day for 3 days.
I place the syringe against the side of the beak near the tip and give liquid by drops. They can then drink it on their own and I don't have to worry about them aspirating the Corid into their lungs.

I forgot to add that if one does start feeling bad and/or has a lot of bloody poop, you can also give an extra direct dose of Corid with a syringe. The dosage is .1 ml/ pound of body weight, one time a day for 3 days.
I place the syringe against the side of the beak near the tip and give liquid by drops. They can then drink it on their own and I don't have to worry about them aspirating the Corid into their lungs.

Thank you!! I'll be picking up Corid in the morning just incase! I have them on a vitamin/electrolyte/probiotic water supplement can I use that in the corid water still? My last chick to pass away had wry neck so I'm paranoid about making sure that doesn't happen again.

You don't want to give vitamins while treating with Corid because it works by imitating vit B1 and the cocci die due to a thimin (B1) deficiency. But I also found this advice on wry neck, so I can see your concern. Do you have a vet or know someone who could do a fecal float tomorrow to confirm coccidiosis? That would be the ideal solution, but I know fecals aren't always possible.
Wry neck (torticolis) is just a symptom. It can be seen in chicks with a vitamin E or B1 thiamine deficiency, from a head injury, and is seen in a few diseases that affect the brain, such as Mareks and Newcastles. Some cases do not get better, but hopefully, in time she will. Was she vaccinated for Mareks? Some chickens including silkies, can be genetically predisposed for wry neck. Are you giving vitamin E and thiamine? I would use 400 Iu of E each day, and also give some b complex 1/4 tablet daily. Egg yolk has enough selenium to help as well.
@Eggcessive - any advice on how to balance possible coccidiosis with wry neck treatment?

If you any symptoms of wry neck, you can give a 400 IU softgel of human vitamin E orally. Just don’t use any extra B vitamins while on the Corid, but you can use them when the Corid is finished.

You don't want to give vitamins while treating with Corid because it works by imitating vit B1 and the cocci die due to a thimin (B1) deficiency. But I also found this advice on wry neck, so I can see your concern. Do you have a vet or know someone who could do a fecal float tomorrow to confirm coccidiosis? That would be the ideal solution, but I know fecals aren't always possible.

@Eggcessive - any advice on how to balance possible coccidiosis with wry neck treatment?
If you any symptoms of wry neck, you can give a 400 IU softgel of human vitamin E orally. Just don’t use any extra B vitamins while on the Corid, but you can use them when the Corid is finished.

Thank you woke up to 2 very sick chicks one displaying sudden wry neck symptoms. I'm wondering if the last one to pass away had coccidiosis and was not able to absorb vitamins and this has been my issue with the new batch of chicks. I've called all my local vets and the one that treat chickens will only treat adults. 😓

Having coccidiosis messes up their intestines... Which prevents them from absorbing proper nutrition from food.
It can kill young chicks quickly so do not wait on getting the Corid.
If you are seeing wry neck like symptoms it may be too late for that chick...so prepare yourself.

Get the Corid first thing this morning.
Do not offer any vitamin.

Having coccidiosis messes up their intestines... Which prevents them from absorbing proper nutrition from food.
It can kill young chicks quickly so do not wait on getting the Corid.
If you are seeing wry neck like symptoms it may be too late for that chick...so prepare yourself.

Get the Corid first thing this morning.
Do not offer any vitamin.

I'm on my way to tractor supply now, anything else I should get? I'm about a half hour from the closest one so it's an hour process and I've learned time is not on my side with chicks..

Back
Top Bottom