chick pecked raw

TrishChibas

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
FL
Help! My chicks have ganged up on one of my chicks and pecker her raw. They're a little over 2 wks old. I check on them every 3 hours and I can't believe the damage they have done in those 3 short hours. This is the second time they have done this, though the first was not nearly as bad. The first time they singled out one and picked at one of her tail pin feathers. Once it started bleeding, they couldn't stop. I got noticed her right away though and seperated her until it was healed. They were reintroduced 3 days ago and all has been fine. Today I go out there and they have a different one torn to shreds. It's horrible! I don't know how she's going to make it. She's still walking around and chirping loundly (as she does not want to be alone), but her wounds are horrible. Should I put something on them? Why are my chicks little carnivores? I put a littler box in there brooder filled with sand, a water bottle for pecking, and a little roost for them to roost on. THey shouldn't be bored. Help!

Yes give it some "Sav-a-chick" or something similar and clean the wound and then apply some neosporin or something similar.

Had the same thing happen and she is fine now.

83761_024_3.jpg

If you have two different ages of chickens, and it is the younger ones getting picked on, I would seperate them back out and wait until they are a bit bigger.

You will definitely need to pull out anyone with spots of blood, as they will continue to pick at it. You might want to put a wire dog kennel in the coop/run to isolate the chick - that way she is still with her buddies but safe. As long as blood is visible, they will pick. In a couple of days, after she is healed up, you may want to try introductions again, with supervision. At the time of intro, you might want to throw out lots of great treats, and simply open her kennel door so she can join. The food will be a temporary distraction, so stay tuned.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, isolate of course! Not sure if it's true but I've read that chickens are similar to vultures and can and will eat anything. I'm anti evloution and more of an intelligent design guy, however, if you ever watch them they do act like little dino's.

I have her seperated now. Poor thing. They're all the same age. I have no idea why they're doing this. This is my first time with chicks and it is definitely not as enjoyable as I thought it would be. Hopefully, it gets easier as they get older
sad.png

I agree, it is definitely an unattractive chicken behavior. Mine got into the feather-plucking, fortunately never drawing blood. I feed them a very high protein diet with lots of treats and distractions in the run (flock blocks, branches to climb and roost on, daily fresh veggies, a big sand bath area...) and ultimately bought pinless peepers. I tried "peeping" just a few and ultimately decided all 27 needed to sport them. It hasn't impacted their interest in their environment at all, but seems to have decreased the feather plucking. If the picking behavior continues, peepers are always an option. The plastic pinless ones are relatively easy to put on, and take off.

I have no idea what a peeper is... must google now. LOL
Should I put peroxide on the wounds? I read somewhere that neosporin is toxic to them. I just don't know how to treat the wounds
sad.png

I would just keep the wound clean, and neosporin will help fight infection. The neo helps provide a coating from dirt as well. (I think you want to avoid neo that has lanocaine in it...)

Peepers come in a pin version and a pinless version. The plastic pinless version is the one I prefer - easy on and easy off. I got mine through National Band Co - cheapest by far. Trick to get them on easier - heat a cup of water in the micro for about 1.5 minutes, drop in the peeper (after heating). The water warms up the plastic and makes it easier to spread apart the pins so getting them into each nostril is easier. Be sure not to put them on upside down (seriously, I didn't think it was possible until a friend of mine did it and it was not good). Once on they look like glasses balancing on their beaks.

Let us know how she does!

Back
Top Bottom